Dark Boom Bap Beat

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
Here's a quick little throw-away beat from earlier tonight.

Got to digging through some records and found two cool chops that I thought would fit well together. Some strings/horns and flutes.

Chopped, stretched and tuned the chops. Added some pianos, NI Glaze and bass. Nothing special, but it's been a while since I've actually sampled from records.

Cheers,

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
I liked the piano chops a lot better than the string/reverse string, both sounded good but I felt the piano gave it a little better rhythm and I thought the strings felt repetitive after a bit, but that's all personal preference stuff. Nice grimey vibe all around. Nice work

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
I liked the piano chops a lot better than the string/reverse string, both sounded good but I felt the piano gave it a little better rhythm and I thought the strings felt repetitive after a bit, but that's all personal preference stuff. Nice grimey vibe all around. Nice work
Thanks @Dusty B

The strings were pulled from soul record. Big wet reverb, re-sampled, and a slow attack. Then grabbed some flute trills from a Vivaldi concert to layer on top.

To your point, I also found it a bit repetitive after a bit hence going back and trying to add some pianos. Again, this was a quick throw-away beat after a busy week of work....may be worth going back to flesh out a better arrangement.

Glad the grimey vibe came out. I was hearing some Alchemist/Havoc in my head while making it.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Thanks @Dusty B

The strings were pulled from soul record. Big wet reverb, re-sampled, and a slow attack. Then grabbed some flute trills from a Vivaldi concert to layer on top.

To your point, I also found it a bit repetitive after a bit hence going back and trying to add some pianos. Again, this was a quick throw-away beat after a busy week of work....may be worth going back to flesh out a better arrangement.

Glad the grimey vibe came out. I was hearing some Alchemist/Havoc in my head while making it.
I think it's a good practice to make and post quick beats all the time. Otherwise, we're at risk of analysis paralysis! Dr Dre is the only person who can get away with being a perfectionist... I'm still waiting for Detox lol.

members online