Interviews Cryptic One

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
crypticone1.jpg

CRYPTIC ONE: Producer, emcee, manager, label-owner and what not. Mostly known for being a member of the legendary ATOMS FAMILY, as well as successfully operating his own label - Centrifugal Phorce Records. This interview takes place a moment before his brand new solo album - 'Truth: Whole Truth, Half Truths, & Lies' - is hitting the shelves! Do not miss this captivating burrowing into Cryptic's covert state of mind!

Greetings, what's up? Please introduce yourself to our readers.

I am Cryptic One aka CP. I am 1/8th of the Atoms Family. I'm a producer, MC, label owner, record digger, mixing/recording engineer, shitty half assed web/graphic designer, and heavy smoker.

So, why Cryptic One? Where does this moniker come from? On second thought, would you change it or leave it as is?

Well my original MC/Graf name was Phazee, and I pretty much always rhymed in riddles that no one ever really understood what I was talking about. So I started saying in my rhymes "Phazee da cryptic one". Eventually I saw how wack the name Phazee was and I dropped it, kept Da Cryptic One, then later on decided to drop the "Da". Basically I'm happy with the name. It describes me; it describes my personality, my rhymes, etc., accurately. I don't rhyme cryptically on purpose; it's just how I naturally am. I like creating puzzles that need to be figured out because I like solving puzzles. I always have, even as a kid.

How was your childhood like? Have you dreamt of growing up or did you always want to stay a child?

I never want to grow up. I mean I can be a mature adult when I need to be. But when you stop joking, stop having fun, and so on, I feel like you are missing a large part of what life should be about.

Have you ever experienced racial discrimination?

I could write a long epic trilogy of books on the amount of racial discrimination I have experienced in my lifetime. I'm half black and half Russian jew. Most people think I'm latino and I have a Jewish last name. Strike that, not just a Jewish name. I have one of the most Jewish last names you can think of, period. So imagine when I go into Sam Ash (a music equipment store) to purchase $3000 worth of equipment on my credit card. They look at my face, look at the name on the card, look back to my face, back to the card, page the manager, manager asks for another form of ID, a blood sample, DNA testing, fingerprints, retina scan, and then I can finally purchase the equipment. Other than that, I can't even begin to explain to you how many times I have been pulled over in NYC at gun point by police because they ran the license plate and see darky driving a car registered to a Jewish person. I have to give it to the NYPD for consistency, they always have the same excuse after everything checks out and they let us go: "Sorry about that, a car of this make & model was reported stolen today".

Who/What inspires you?

Various things. I guess the cliche things; movies, books, music. But I can find inspiration in almost anything. I'm big on words, and I'm not talking about big words. Not sure how to explain it, but sometimes words just phonetically sound impressive, or interesting. For example a word like Platypus. Not a big word at all, but it has a unique sound to it. Sometimes I can just start with one interesting word, and somehow that word will just inspire a line, which turns into a song. As far as production inspiration goes, the biggest inspiration for me is record shopping. Anytime I'm in a slump making beats, I go digging and my slump vanishes.

crypticone3.jpg

What kind of relationship do you have with your folks?

I love my family. My parents against all odds of today's statistics are still together. It's hard to imagine what they went through being an interracial couple in the 60's. Every time I think I have it difficult race relations wise, I look at their story and realize it could be a lot worse.

Who have been the most important people in your life?

My family. Probably most important in recent times, my niece and nephew. When my niece was born, it completely changed my outlook on children/family. And for the first time in my life I said "Hmmm... I could see myself doing this one day. Being a parent and husband". But alas, hasn't happened yet, but before my niece and nephew, I was one of those "I ain't ever having kids" people.

What kind of education do you have? How would you describe yourself as a student?

I almost got my degree in Business Management. Something stupid like a semester away from getting my degree and I just couldn't deal with school anymore. I was going through a lot of personal issues at the time, but that's no real excuse. The fact of the matter is, I always hated school. I always did well in school, got great scores on tests, but I was always lazy, and never did homework. I never understood the concept of grading me based on my homework. How can you give me a failing grade for a class when I did well on every test, and I just didn't do the homework assignments? I mean tests are supposed to umm, test your ability or knowledge on the subject, so obviously I knew the material. It is what it is, I plan on finishing up, I have a different mind state now so I know if I go to school now it will be a different world for me.

How did you get into music in the first place? What led you to Hip-Hop?

Always loved music since I was an infant. My parents were basically hippies, so they had records around the house that I used to play. Everything from 3 Dog Night, to Sly and the Family Stone, to the Beatles, to James Brown, etc, etc, etc. As far as Hip-Hop, I have a sister who is older than me, so when I was real young I used to "borrow" her records and play them on my little sesame street record player. Things like Disco 3 (that was before they were called Fat Boys), Treacherous 3, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious 5, Sugar Hill Gang, Soul Sonic Force, etc. She used to get pissed at me because the needle on my record player would fuck up her records. But anyway, this was when I first started noticing record labels. I saw that most of my favorite rap stuff was on Sugarhill Records, the sky blue label, blue jacket, the logo, etc. So when I would go to the mall with my mom I would scrounge up whatever I had in my piggy bank and go to Record Town and buy as many Sugarhill records I could afford, occasionally taking a chance with a different label if the group name sounded "rappish". I don't know what exactly drew me to rap more then other music, but it just did.

What made you decide to become a producer/emcee?

Production wise, I remember the day I wanted to start producing. I was listening to Red Alert on 98.7 Kiss FM on a Saturday night. This was back when Hip-Hop was restricted to Friday & Saturday 9pm-Midnight, and only on two stations. I remember hearing the Jungle Brothers song "I Got it Like That". And I started buggin', because my parents had the Sly Stone record that the sample was from. So immediately after the radio show went off, I pulled out the Sly Stone record, listened, then did an A-B comparison, and then I realized what sampling was. Ever since then I wanted to do it, never really knew how back then, but that all came with time.

As far as MCing goes, it was really Big Daddy Kane that made me want to start rhyming. I got his tape just because it was in the rap section and I liked the cover. I had no idea who he was. Funny thing is, I had already heard most of the album because they played it religiously on Red Alert, Chuck Chillout, Marley Marl, Mr. Magic. So when I got the tape, I seriously listened to it non stop for 6 months straight, 'till the tape literally popped. He made me want to start rhyming.

What equipment do you have? Do you use any software applications? What's your favorite piece of gear?

Ensoniq ASR-10, Korg Triton, Korg MS2000r, Akai S950. Those are the main beat making tools for me. I have other gear that is really used more for recording and mixing and less for the beat creation side of things. Software wise I use Pro Tools, and only Pro Tools. I've seen what computers can do, and it amazes me how far they have come, but I'm a hardware guy at heart and that's where I'm most comfortable. My favorite piece of gear is still the ASR-10. It has its problems, and drawbacks, but I still say it's the best sampling workstation of all time. The effects sound better, the layout is smarter. It has its shortcomings, but there are about a billion things that the ASR-10 can do simply, that other new samplers take 4 million steps and a degree in physics to get it done.

crypticone6.jpg

Please describe your creation process - what comes first and what's last, how arrangements evolve, and which techniques you use.

No real set process. Sometimes it starts with a record, sometimes it starts with drums, sometimes it starts with a word, an idea, a rhyme. I never rule anything out. Generally though, I will say when I make beats, I treat them as skeletons. I get the basic structure down, maybe an 8 bar sequence. Then once I figure out where it is going song wise, I'll write the rhymes, record a rough draft of them, go back and tweak the arrangement of the beat. Drop the snare out here, double the kick up here, delay that one word, etc. Keep going back and forth till I feel it's done, which is usually never in my eyes. No matter how much is going on, I always want to add more, I've learned over the years that it can work that way, but sometimes it's best just to leave things as they are. The new album I approached it differently, the beats are more minimal then things I've done in the past. Still not really minimal, but more so than the past stuff I've done.

Does sampling play a significant role in your music?

Absolutely. I use synths as well as samples, but sampling is where my heart will always be. To me, nothing is more Hip-Hop then sampling. People say that sample based beats are easier to make. I think it's the opposite, I really think sample based beats are in the long run more difficult to make. Maybe not difficult, but it takes more work. Digging is a full time thing for me, and it will never stop.

7 tips to all the aspiring beatmakers out there!

1. Music first, skill later - Doing things that are difficult doesn't always mean it's good. Yes you processed that snare 150 times, re-recorded it through a NEVE 1081, re-sampled it to a lower bit rate, etc, etc, etc. But does it sound good? People would rather hear something that took you 30 seconds to make that sounds good, then hear something you spent 10 years making and it sounds shitty.
  2. Learn your equipment - and keep re-learning it. Every producer goes through those phases of formula. Where they figure out a process, and keep doing it on every beat. It's great, but every few months I force myself to use a feature on my equipment that I've never used before. I feel like that continued learning keeps my sound developing.
  3. Listen to music - and not just Hip-Hop. That's one of my biggest problems with a lot of the younger cats coming up these days. They have no influence outside of Hip-Hop, and Hip-Hopp is and forever will be a collage art form comprised of bits and pieces from other music genres. When Hip-Hop starts only being influenced by Hip-Hop, I feel it has limited growth potential.
  4. Bite - I know this is breaking Hip-Hop rule #32 "Don't Bite". In the beginning when first learning, I say bite. That's the best way to learn in the very early stages. Mimic your favorite producers till you learn the technical aspects of making beats like the back of your hand. Once you have the techniques down, you can start working on your style. It's like graf, beginning writers take other people's letters, till they develop their own style.
  5. Befriend a harsh critic - or use someone you already know. You know the type; the person that doesn't like anything and complains about how much music sucks. Doesn't even have to be a Hip-Hop fan, in fact I think it's better that they aren't a Hip-Hop fan. Chances are if you play a beat for this guy and he likes it, you have a banger.
  6. Let it rest - After you finish a track, let it breath. Put it away. Don't listen to it for a week. Then when you finally do listen to it, listen to it in a different environment then where it was created. Leave the studio - listen in your car, listen on your iPod, listen on your home stereo, wherever. Try and remove yourself from it and listen as a listener, and not as someone who created. I find doing this makes me see where the flaws are, or where a beat excels. Then I go back and fix the flaws, and repeat the process.
  7. Break rules and patterns - everyone gives themselves some rules, it's natural. For instance "I don't sample anything past 1980". Well go ahead, break that rule every now and then. There are no boundaries in this, so every now and then you need to stretch your legs and move off your typical path.
Tell us about Centrifugal Phorce Records; why have you formed the label, what does it stand for, and what are your main goals?

Basically I started the label because I wanted to release my own music, and that was the only option. 1995 we were finishing up the Centa of da Web EP and I pretty much secured distribution before the record was done. I had to have a legal business in order to get the record distributed. So I started Centrifugal Phorce. I bought a book that was advertised in The Source classified ads every issue "How to Start Your Own Record Label" and basically took it from there. My main goals then were to put out a record with my name on it, and I did it. Every year the goals change and grow. You reach some goals, and fail on others, but you keep resetting them when you reach the current one. The goal now, is to reach as many people as humanly possible with the music. Money is always a goal, not to be rich, although I'm all for the cash rolling in, but to make enough money to live off of and keep putting music out. The main goal now is to get the music out there quicker, more consistently, and on a larger scale.

Give us an insight concerning past releases.

1996 was Centa of da Web EP "Beyond Human Comprehension" on vinyl and cassette. 1998 was "Persecution of Hip Hop" a double vinyl compilation that had some of the earliest releases of Atoms Family, Slug, Dose, Sole, Alias, Lenzmen, and the first public release of any Cannibal Ox. 2000 was Atoms Family "The Prequel" which was our first CD, in about 1998-1999 vinyl sales started dropping as CD manufacturing became cheaper, and less people had turntables. 2001 was Euphony another compilation, had some early Aesop Rock, Blueprint, LoDeck, Despot, Presence,and some more Atoms Fam material. 2002 was the re-release of Centa of da Web on CD with Atoms Family Archives Volume 1. 2004 was my solo debut Anti-Mobius Strip Theory. Along the way there were lots of side projects, limited pressing projects, production, guest appearances, etc, but the ones I mentioned above are the only official CP Records releases.

crypticone5.jpg

Since we're at it, please reveal some information about your upcoming masterpiece (I heard the snippets and they are simply top notch!) - 'Truth: Whole Truth, Half Truths, & Lies'.

The album all stemmed off one song I did for the 2004 Scribble Jam compilation, the song was called The Whole Truth. It was really the first solo song I recorded since Mobius, which although it came out in 2004, it was complete in 2001 and some of the songs were done as far back as 1998. I just hadn't been recording or making music for almost 3 years, due to so many reasons, personal issues, lack of things to say, creative slumps, etc. So I got the call asking for a song for the compilation on a Monday, and by Wednesday I had the song done. It was a completely different type of song for me production was, and rhyme wise, and it basically inspired me to make more songs. I did about 6 songs over the span of 3 weeks and started to see similarities and re-occurring themes in the songs, that's when I came up with the title for the album. Once I had the title, the rest was pretty easy.

The production style on this album is a lot more aggressive than Mobius was, and the album has a cohesive sound. The aggressive beats and the subject matter made me write more aggressive rhymes. The basis of the sound of the album had a lot to do with me keeping live performance in mind. I never enjoyed performing songs off Mobius, the songs are dark, dreary, slow, with long verses, and no real hooks. It's just not as fun to be on stage with that kind of material, so I decided to take it a slightly different direction with this album. It's still very much me, but just a different side of me.

Your label is also releasing Paradoxical State's (brilliant) debut album - Dark City. What's the latest on that?

It's my favorite album from my crew. This album has been done for awhile and (due to a billion and one complications, some out of my control, but some very much my fault) so it hasn't been released yet. Now it's my main focus after I come back from tour, I'm doing everything possible to get this album out and give it everything I got. The sound of this album is like nothing else I've ever heard before, and I'm hoping the public takes to it like I have.

crypticone7.jpg

What's your opinion on Hip-Hop's state of being? How would Hip-Hop sound like in a few years from now?

Hip-Hop's state of being is great. Yes, there is a lot of crap, but there is a lot of great music as well. I'm not one of those people screaming "Hip-Hop is wack!". A few years from now, I think the mainstream sound, if there is such a thing, will shift. It always does. Where it shifts? Your guess is as good as mine.

What are your future plans? Is there anything you haven't achieved yet?

Like I said earlier, to get the music out there quicker, and more consistently. A billion and one things that I haven't achieved. But setting goals is what keeps me going. And I will always re-adjust my future goals when I reach my current ones.

What's the deal with the Atoms Family, is there an album coming up?

There are always talks of doing an album. But it's just hard for everyone to get together. But once I get these next 2 releases out there, I'm making an Atoms Family release my #1 priority.

Imagine: The world is coming to an end in 2 hours. How would you spend those 2 hours?

With family and friends, doing anything, even if it's something pretty stupid like playing poker or monopoly.

What's in your CD player right now? What kind of music do you normally listen to?

I listen to Hip-HOp mostly. But I listen to everything. Lately I've been listening to older music. As far as recent music, I've really been feeling the new Cage album, looking forward to any Doom or Ghostface project, counting the days 'till Jay-Z decides to make his inevitable return to album making. Other than that, I've been listening to the new material Jestoneart has been recording for his next album.

crypticone2.jpg

Heaven or hell; what's the ultimate choice?

Hell sounds like a lot more fun honestly. Most of my best friends will be there, I assume the alcohol will be plentiful, and there will be plenty of sexually active non-married women there. Actually sounds like pretty much any bar in NYC.

Drugs; Aye or nix?

Have to go with nix on this one. I drink, I smoke cigarettes, and have the occasional weed smoke session. Other than that, no thanks, although the peer pressure has been focusing on mushrooms lately, but we will see if I give in to that pressure or not in time.

Sex; too much hype or not enough stimulation?

No such thing as too much sex.

Humans; enemies or friends?

Enemies. For the most part I hate people, but love gatherings, isn't that ironic? By the way, that's a quote from the movie Clerks, but it sums up exactly how I feel.

What's the craziest - most non logical thing you have ever done?

Hmm... I've done plenty of crazy/non-logical things in my lifetime. But for some reason all I can think of right now is an oddity about me. I always squint when I'm outside during the day. I honestly think it's from being indoors working on music too much, but I've been that way for quite some time now. I'm like that guy in the movie that's been locked in a dungeon and hasn't seen sunlight for 15 years. When he finally escapes out into sunlight his eyes can't take it. Well that's how it is for me everyday. I hate the sun.

What's your opinion on MP3s, downloading of music and file-sharing?

Used to be avidly and vocally against it. I still think it's out of control, but it's getting better with iTunes and others actually figuring out ways to make it so people pay for them, and the artist actually sees money from it. I've warmed up to the idea of file sharing in the past few years. It's basically parallel to the tape trading scene that went on in the late 80s early 90s, but with a lot less work. I just hope that if people like albums, they buy them, or at least show up to the shows.

Africa; the motherland or a long forgotten heritage?

Both

Poetry; your inner self or thanks but no thanks?

I can't stand reading poetry. As odd as that may sound considering what I write is a form of poetry

Cryptic, thank you very much for answering. All The Best and Good Luck!!!

members online