Concert Confessions

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I went to many concerts in the 90's and have some stories/confessions. I might have posted these stories before, but whatever:

Raekwon & Ghostface & Masta Killa
1997. Ghost & Masta didn't make it to Canada (that happened a lot) so it was only Raekwon. I stood outside for an hour in the cold waiting in line for whatever reason, then they finally let us in. I go in and see that the show already started with the opening acts! I don't know why they let tons of us wait while the show was going on. I had a woman pat me down which was sorta exciting but she was beefy and could probably knock me out. She felt my crotch. Just missed the last opening act, so now I'm waiting for the Wu Tang show. Raekwon comes out super late and I just happened to check my watch. He did a half assed performance, rushing through a bunch of songs then tells us he's out. I look at my watch, 20 minutes had passed and he's done. I started yelling "I want my money back" but no one else followed me.

Jeru The Damaja
Saw him when he opened for the Roots in 1996. The Roots were amazing but Jeru, oh boy. His performance was actually good but then he decided he wanted to battle so he called 3 people up on stage. 2 of the guys he did well against, but the 3rd guy who was a friend of my friend, fucking destroyed Jeru and Jeru knew it. He tried coming back with weak rhymes but then Jeru ended the "battle" by actually taking the guy's mic away. People booed.

Public Enemy
Saw them in '89. Amazing show, but before they came on, it was some stupid French group from Montreal. The DJ wore a raccoon hat and big shades. They sucked so bad and at one point a guy in the front row yelled shit at them and gave them the finger, the rapper tried kicking the guy in the head LOL.

Maestro Fresh Wes
1989. Dope show, was actually my first Rap show. Afterwards, me and my friend tried to get home but we lived far so I caught the last bus home. But his bus he JUST missed so he had to take a cab (we were 15) at 1am. He got home, it cost something like $40 then he lost his keys. He had to squeeze through the bathroom window to get in, dog freaked out, he lost a shoe and I think he cut himself.

Redman & Keith Murray & Too Short & Biz Markie
Whoever put this show together is wack. Biz just DJ'd, didn't actually perform his songs. Plus I couldn't believe how big his stomach is in person. Too Short did his thing but this is east coast so I'm sure most people either didn't know who he was or didn't care. Redman & Keith Murray tore it down. Keith even dove off the stage and crowd surfed.

Ice-T
Hands down my favorite show. 1992, Original Gangster album. Opening act was Shades Of Culture, who were just starting out in Montreal (they became huge here, well "huge" for MTL). They were super hype but the white guy failed when for some reason to end his set he took a bite out of an apple and threw the rest at the crowd. Ice-T tore it up though, brought out Donald D, who proceeded to spray the crowd with champagne, I got it right in the face. The place was small but packed, I'm sure it was a fire hazard.

DMC 1995
My first DMC show. Everyone flipped out because it's the first time any of us saw Kid Koala and he won easily. I think it's probably the only year he competed but it was crazy. A few other DJ's had terrible sets. One squirted lighter fluid onto his records while they were spinning and lit them on fire. He then tried to beat juggle them! People went nuts but not in a good way. He then ended his set by trying to stream a roll of toilet paper at us, instead he just launched the toilet paper roll - he forgot to open it up, it was a new roll. Another guy stood on the table and tried to scratch with his foot while holding the mixer high. It's hard to explain, but he looked fucking stupid. Everyone booed.

This is a long fucking post. When I think of more, I'll post them. What about you guys?

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
Geto Boys New Years Eve- I think it was 07 or 08. Show was coo, but the highlight was Bushwick messing up the show because how drunk/high he was.

Rakim (circa 07)/ Nas (circa 08)- Houston. Both epic. Nuff said.

Prince (circa 04)- Had a lot to drink that night, but remember it being the best performance I've ever seen.

Gnarls Barkley (circa ...when they were hot) Big let down. It was like they played their cd and left.

Sad to say most of my concert memories are blurred. Partied too hard.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
Blackout Tour 2000: Red and Meth in Philly. Small crowd, it was in College of Philly's gymnasium. Red stage dove. No one caught him.

Wu Reunion Tour 2004: ODB wasn't there. He died the day after. U God fell of the stage.

JMT 2004: Dopest show ive ever been to. Was billed as JMT w/ Outerspace and special guests. All the guests were suprises. Outerspace performed their last song and Immortal Technique came out to do his verse. Spot was bumpin. Wow. great time.

I have a ton more but these are the only ones with stuff worth mentioning.