Community Discussion, Important!

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
Alright guys, i think it's really time we sat down and had a real civilized and useful community wide conversation about what needs to be done. As big D pointed out recently there is a lot of useless shit being posted these days. we're seeing the same questions being asked over and over again and everyone is sick of it.

so let's get some talk going and get some suggestions from the members, and Fade, if you could let us know if you have or are currently working on anything to help with the problem.

the options seem relatively clear. we can either require a minimum post count, just keep closing the threads and not responding to them, or maybe we could even have a new forum in which the newbies could post and talk to each other about the things that the rest of us have already talked about.

any ideas or feedback so we can try to get something done?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
lol, yeah, a board where only 1000+ posts is allowed, at the tempo some kids have their posting frenzy you'd have noobs in there within no time. I'd still say close the registration for half a year or something, open for a week and then close it again lol!

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
we already started a pre-registration. We've been goin over this wit the staff, but keep the ideas rollin in. My thing is, stop the bullshit. And by that I mean if ya dont like ehwta dsomeone says, ignore it. If somethin said specifically towards you,,,deal wit it via PM, if it cant be done like that, we'll deal wit it. Some of yall will soon see, shit aint gonna be tolerated anymore and even if the vets wanna act like fools, then they will get the ax. Simple. Easy.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Good thread.

Actually I just banned a new member, he only posted 1 thread and it was just him trying to promote his site with a bunch of pics in the thread and links to his site. That kind of stuff is very annoying because even though he's new, he completely ignored our rules.

Right now when someone goes to register, they have to fill out the form, and one of the required fields asks why they want to join IllMuzik. You wouldn't believe some of the answers these guys give! So when I get a bad vibe from their answers, I simply don't let them in.

I do agree with making restrictions for newbies, but I tried that just a few months ago and it was horrible. I had so many newbs sending me emails or PM's asking how come they can't do this or do that. They wouldn't be able to see the Industry section until they reached 100 posts, so what happened? They posted their industry questions wherever they could. And if I was to move their thread to Industry, they wouldn't be able to see it. That's the problem.

I think the best thing for the newbies out of control is for me to keep the signups like I have them, where they have to answer that question. Every once in a while, yes I do close the signups just to give a break. I want people to REALLY want to be a part of IllMuzik, not just come here to fuck around.

I also have a notice when they register, that IllMuzik is now a private community and that we have rules that we actually enforce. If they don't follow the rules, they could be banned. It says all of this, if they don't read it that's not my problem. The Rules section is even at the very top of the forums, where else should I put it? Maybe I can visit all of their homes and slap a sticky note on their foreheads!

Really though it's out of control, BUT one of the biggest things is for the rest of you guys to help keep things in order. If someone fucks around and is starting to ruin a thread, tell him to ease up, or just don't reply and eventually he'll get the message that nobody is down with that shit. By replying to stupid posts all you do is encourage more stupid posts.

The bottom line is that this is a production site. Discussions about rap gossip or other stuff like that is welcome, but only to a certain extent because that shit goes on forever, plus there's plenty of forums out there dedicated solely to rap music discussion. But how many are dedicated solely to rap production and are this big?

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
Fade said:
I do agree with making restrictions for newbies, but I tried that just a few months ago and it was horrible. I had so many newbs sending me emails or PM's asking how come they can't do this or do that. They wouldn't be able to see the Industry section until they reached 100 posts, so what happened? They posted their industry questions wherever they could. And if I was to move their thread to Industry, they wouldn't be able to see it. That's the problem.
You can foward those joints to me and I happily respond to all of them with "READ THE RULES OR FACE THE WRATH OF VORRHEES THE MUSIC PRODUCTION DEMON HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHA" That'll fix them

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Fade said:
Good thread.

Actually I just banned a new member, he only posted 1 thread and it was just him trying to promote his site with a bunch of pics in the thread and links to his site. That kind of stuff is very annoying because even though he's new, he completely ignored our rules.

Right now when someone goes to register, they have to fill out the form, and one of the required fields asks why they want to join IllMuzik. You wouldn't believe some of the answers these guys give! So when I get a bad vibe from their answers, I simply don't let them in.

I think the best thing for the newbies out of control is for me to keep the signups like I have them, where they have to answer that question. Every once in a while, yes I do close the signups just to give a break. I want people to REALLY want to be a part of IllMuzik, not just come here to fuck around.

I also have a notice when they register, that IllMuzik is now a private community and that we have rules that we actually enforce. If they don't follow the rules, they could be banned. It says all of this, if they don't read it that's not my problem. The Rules section is even at the very top of the forums, where else should I put it? Maybe I can visit all of their homes and slap a sticky note on their foreheads!

Really though it's out of control, BUT one of the biggest things is for the rest of you guys to help keep things in order. If someone fucks around and is starting to ruin a thread, tell him to ease up, or just don't reply and eventually he'll get the message that nobody is down with that shit. By replying to stupid posts all you do is encourage more stupid posts.

The bottom line is that this is a production site. Discussions about rap gossip or other stuff like that is welcome, but only to a certain extent because that shit goes on forever, plus there's plenty of forums out there dedicated solely to rap music discussion. But how many are dedicated solely to rap production and are this big?

yeah and thats the problem people want to come here to bullshit and really dont care if they learn anything or not! I am still fairly new, but i have learned so much stuff here since i signed up, that has improved my production tremendously! i didnt know you were doing stuff like this with new people signing up, it is a small step to improving the site, but yeah it must get annoying getting tons of emials.

you could do like a 3 strikes and your out type of shit, like if you're starting bullshit with anyone for no apparent reason, that would get you a strike, or if you are creating pointless threads, like you said promoting a site or artist, that would get a strike, and so on................because i know a lot of people would have been long gone and we wouldnt have to deal with them anymore, haha, something needs to be done and there are a lot of good ideas so, hopefully it will improve

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Fade, I don't know if you could hook something like this up but what if, in addition to them answering that question, they have to select a "I understand" on a "I understand/don't understand" form question. It could be a simple question, maybe have like 5-10 of them that are the mainpoints you want enforced.

For example,

1.) You may not, under any circumstances, spam this site for your own personal promotion.

I agree (radio button), I disagree (radio button) (<=== and the radio button defaults on disagree).

2.) ALL beats must be posted in the Showcase section and nowhere else. Seriously, no where else.

I agree (radio button) I disagree (radio button)

3.) Don't be a stupid noob and ask stupid noob questions. You actually may be banned.

I understand (radio button), I disagree (radio button)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Fade said:

That's just the thing, I cant believe they've never noticed anything about rules since most the cats had been visiting the boards they must've seen any of these issues in numerous threads. So if they dont care, we dont care and bann their sorry asses.

Or, just close em down. Rather have less relevant threads that appeal to the boards then an index flooded with crap, from 2 pages of newposts I normaly would read 3 or 4 ( but thats me ).

The bottom line is that this is a production site. Discussions about rap gossip or other stuff like that is welcome, but only to a certain extent because that shit goes on forever, plus there's plenty of forums out there dedicated solely to rap music discussion. But how many are dedicated solely to rap production and are this big?[/QUOTE]

Would it matter...rap production or not, the focus is the production.

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
this is too hard to enforce. on one end we can try to limit the newbs from posting dumb shit by blocking them but there are a lot of new members who do know what they're talking about. just because someone doesnt have 100 posts doesnt mean he doesnt know anything about the music industry and such. also, this type of shit happens on any board. it will be mighty difficult to police and if fade does start screening and limiting people into the site it WILL bring the popularity of this site down. that defeats the purpose of having a site for us to connect and be heard. just my .02

O

open mind

the thing is that answer to diffrent questions can change at a time maybe a problem or wuteva can be result easier or better with a NEW way or NEW software or NEW idea or NEW wuteva.and this will not happen if a post is closed.so question the same question is not always bad thing.i think u should see the forum like an organic living monster like there users its a living thing u cant cut or censore to death.and its not said that a member with 200000 miliion posts talks not shit or questions the sam shit. u feel me?

ps:i know its a bit confusing what i wrote hehe.but take your time then u will understand after reading it 5 times !! heheeh PEACE!

to make a long story short.
leave it like it is now.SHIT HAPPENS HEHEEH even to die hard long time memberz.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
^ that is a good example of the problem..
I know that I have had problems with the search function when I first got on.
The problem is that when your new you dont know your way around the site .
Maybe if the search option was crammed down the throats of newbies.
Which I still am technically.
I mean on the main board its not somthing that leaps out at you.
Even on this board "New Posts" calls to me more.
We had a cool discussion on lsd last night but it was in "The Lab".
We cant be "trippin" in the lab.
All the social shit needs to stay in the lounge. I think.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
We pretty much already have a 3 strikes thing. When someone fucks around, we ask them nicely to stop. Then again. Once we realize that they're obviously not listening to us or following our rules we get rid of them. Plus it's hard and time consuming to constantly monitor everything. Sometimes I don't even have fun on here because I'm too busy merging posts or moving threads or asking members to shut up.

*EDIT:
Like I mentioned before, it also comes down to YOU the members. Help us keep this place civil. If someone is acting up, ask them nicely to stop. Don't call them a faggot and threaten to kill them, that just provokes. Or just report a thread/post to the moderators. For every post, underneath the member's avatar and info, there's a warning icon. Click it.

Attachments

• report.jpg
    report.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 98

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
I think by preventing that pancake bunny dude from posting in certain threads, that'll prevent alot of nontopic discussions. That dude's got like A.D.D. to the tenth power and shit.

His presence is almost a guarantee that a thread's gonna get closed in a day or so.

members online