Christopher Hitchens vs Mos Def two of my most favorite people WOW

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
ha ha, ok here is why I think he was a bit out of line. But honestly it is not a big deal.

Mos Def "What is the Taliban's manifesto?" (Mos def clearly does not know the difference between the Taliban and al Qaeda)

Hitchens "they call for a return of an Islamic empire, the era of Islamic imperialism"

I don't know if Mos Def didn't understand or hear this. But he kept asking a question that had been already answered.

They answered again "to put it clearly the return of a fascist state"

Mos Def STILL did not understand. Of course Mos Def turns to Black V White Racism and as much as I hate racism this is an incredibly week arguing point.

Then Mos Def goes on to say he doesn't believe the translators from the Osamam video to which Hitchens reply's "Watch them with an Aramaic friend"

Mos Def also clearly has no clue who Hitchens is, as much time as Hitchens spends in the middle east I am sure he actually does speak Aramaic.

Then Mos Def says "I can think for myself"
Hitchens reply is perfect when he says "Prove it!"

Then Mos Def says "I am strong enough to hold an unpopular opinion"
Then they all ask "well what is it"

At any rate, I love Mos Def and anyone who would debate Hitchens has balls of steal.

The first few youtube comments sum it up nicely.

"Watching Hictchs argue with Mos Def is like watching a boxer beat a child its kinda painful"

"Hitchens is a professional debater, and is known to have eaten over twenty encyclopedias - of course he's going to come out on top. Mos Def hasn't got time to read up on nuclear weapons n shit - he's too busy hitting on bitches, yo."

anyway, I thought the entire thing was kinda funny. Especially when Hitchens calls him "Mr Definitely" LMFAO!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Well here's my 2 cents...Let's start with "watching a boxer beat a child".

note - No moral person with any integrity would allow that to happen, and even if so, where would the victory be in a match like that? What did the boxer show the world by beating a child?

Round 1 - Mos Def - What is the Taliban's manifesto?
Hitchens - "they call for a return of an Islamic empire, the era of Islamic imperialism"

note - They can call for whatever they want but Hitchens knows without a shadow of a doubt that this will NEVER happen but he supports and stands on that belief as if it were really a possibility and he still uses it as leverage to support his point.

note - The battle is over, but the fight continues...

Round 2 - Then Mos Def goes on to say he doesn't believe the translators from the Osamam video to which Hitchens reply's "Watch them with an Aramaic friend"

note - Now he already knows that he's going to destroy anything that Mos Def brings...but instead of ending the argument he chooses to be a dick...

Round 3 - Then Mos Def says "I can think for myself"

note - The boxer knows he's already won the fight but now decides to punish the child even more...
At this point I'm no longer interested in the fight anymore, in fact, I'm a little disgusted because on this playing field it's a no contest...and it was an uneven fight before the first round.

IMO, The perception is "I'm smarter than you." The reality is..."You just kicked my ass but in doing so, you just showed me how dumb you are."

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
The manifesto part was good, but everything after that was a little weak. I agree with Dac. For me, Mos def was being belittled for being discerning about what information he was being fed and defending his doubts. I dont see how Mos was in the wrong in that way. (Hitchens is in a different space, with different experiences and resources and hes attacking Mos from that place.)

Thanks for a full breakdown/response Dac

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Well here's my 2 cents...Let's start with "watching a boxer beat a child".

note - No moral person with any integrity would allow that to happen, and even if so, where would the victory be in a match like that? What did the boxer show the world by beating a child?

What?? Your response here makes no sense.

Round 1 - Mos Def - What is the Taliban's manifesto?
Hitchens - "they call for a return of an Islamic empire, the era of Islamic imperialism"

note - They can call for whatever they want but Hitchens knows without a shadow of a doubt that this will NEVER happen but he supports and stands on that belief as if it were really a possibility and he still uses it as leverage to support his point.

again I have to go HUH?? Hitchens simply answered Mos Def's question. And the Taliban DOES believe it to be possible. How does Hitchens use it to leverage his point?

note - Now he already knows that he's going to destroy anything that Mos Def brings...but instead of ending the argument he chooses to be a dick...

Round 3 - Then Mos Def says "I can think for myself"

note - The boxer knows he's already won the fight but now decides to punish the child even more...
At this point I'm no longer interested in the fight anymore, in fact, I'm a little disgusted because on this playing field it's a no contest...and it was an uneven fight before the first round.

IMO, The perception is "I'm smarter than you." The reality is..."You just kicked my ass but in doing so, you just showed me how dumb you are."

Well, then no offense but Def should have not brought a knife to a gun fight. It seems to me that Def was the instigator here.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Ah shit. Let me break some ish down. We live in a country,,,no a World where the biggest weapon against mankind is FEAR. Hands down. With that being said, what caught my attention was the Guantanamo remark about letting them go and then they go back to the Taliban. Now if that isn't a fear mongering statement to say the least. That sounds like Right Wing propaganda as far as I'm concerned. Is it true? I think so, but we can't argue amongst each other because of it. There is a price for Freedom (whatever little we have) This is why we have a 2nd Amendment. I won't get into who won the argument because from looking at the bigger picture, it is irrelevant. I don't think anyone "won". What I see is a greater problem. When one person questions what our intentions are as a country, another will jump down that one's throat for even questioning "security". I, like Mos Def, DO NOT believe what is fed to me by mainstream media, and if you do, then you are ignorant to the World. I think Mos could of handled this better as could Hitchens. We need to break away from "What if the boogie man attacks..." mentality. I see this everyday with people plugged into CNN, FOXNEWS, MSNBC, etc. The minute I say that maybe things aren't as they seem, an instant argument ensues. I also do not believe that Bin Laden was killed by team six when Benazir Bhutto claimed he was assassinated in 2007 and a month later she died from a suicide bomber. The only difference with her murder was after the attack a bullet was put into her head. Not the normal radical Islamic style killing, but more of a "Get R' done" style, and we all know who is the master at that. And again, I do not believe that entirely, but I think with a free mind and critical thinking. I lean towards that before a team of seals got him and dumped him in the ocean.

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
You remember when ya little brother wanted to play mario but you were about ta beat the game, so you shoved a controller cable under the NES and gave him the "pacifier"?
Well, thats exactly what that whole bin laden thing looked like, oh yeah we got him, but when we were comin back we just dropped him in the ocean, we thought it was a good idea, but we have pictures...
a filmed adventure kinda like that movie they put out.
If the marines are movie stars...
Smdh....

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
With that being said, what caught my attention was the Guantanamo remark about letting them go and then they go back to the Taliban. Now if that isn't a fear mongering statement to say the least. That sounds like Right Wing propaganda as far as I'm concerned.

Stress you should look up Hitchens, you would love him. His is actually Right Wing enemy #1. He actually went and got water boarded to prove that it was Torture. Hitchens is also one of the main reasons for the fall of Henry Kissinger and was a champion of freedom and free thought.

Check out him getting waterboarded. Also his books are amazing and thought provoking. Lets just say dude doesnt take shit from anyone. I was very sadden by his death a few months ago.

members online