Canadian ISP bandwidth outrage...

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Sure some of my Canadian brethren have already read about this, but the CRTC (Canadian Radio and Television Committee) has decided to basically put ridiculous limits on bandwidth for a lot of isp's... it sort of spells out the end of streaming video and any other large downloading in Canada. It's ridiculous because they offer services where you can d/l up to 1.5 mbps, yet you have a 20 gig limit... what do you think?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/net-usage-allowances-slashed-crtc-ruling-20110131-102539-204.html

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Wow, I really don't know what to think. At first I was thinking this was one of those things that will sting at first but in the long run...it will be for the better but I'm not sure that would be the case.

Internet d/l'ing has really changed the game and so much so that I think if they TOTALLY stopped it, the game will never return to what it was before file sharing and d/l'ing. I mean most of the things that changed during this era can not come back. So I'm sure this is a step in the right direction but it's not the answer by far.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
People will find ways around it....feeding off of other networks, etc.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I think all you guys should be concerned about this because if my internet goes off or down or whatever, I won't be on as much so IllMuzik will go in the toilet!

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
One of the main reasons it's happening is because of cable/sat television. Online streaming like netflix has killed profit, so the big guns (Bell / Rogers) in Canada want to limit peoples access to their own distribution. It's a dick move, and honestly, there needs to be more competition, right now it's almost a monopoly between two telecom giants...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
One of the main reasons it's happening is because of cable/sat television. Online streaming like netflix has killed profit, so the big guns (Bell / Rogers) in Canada want to limit peoples access to their own distribution. It's a dick move, and honestly, there needs to be more competition, right now it's almost a monopoly between two telecom giants...

ahhh didn't know that, I thought it was about file sharing and pirating. I have Netflix but imo, it's not even close to replacing cable in my home...lol.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
1,5mb..wow it beats dial-up but overhere, if you get 20mb contract delivering 1.5 permanently without a resolve then you get money back since isp is not living up his contract.