Can we get a...

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Check out my mix thread?

I think it would be a good lil thread to have to help improve mine and others mixes,getting help from other producers and tips 2

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Thats what the showcase is for

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
what happened to searching lol theres been several topics about this in the past.

hey fade, if youre reading...how about optional tags on post for replies that elaborate on specific topic regarding the facets of producing.

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
Showcase is for reviewing beats...if u see the feedback none of it is about the mix quality or what producers can do to improve on mixes in future...gearslutz has a mix thread and it's 1 of the most popular on there...wish there was 1 here..hopefully we get it

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
It just hasnt had mix feedback lately. I usually do that, not everyone here is "mix orientated" with their critiqs. Do a search, it gets indepth sometimes, it just depends on who responds

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
Yeh but 1-2 people giving u mix tips isnt enough...if 8-15 people did so then you could read it all and the points people mention most u work on...if 1-2 people tell me to do 1 thing i tend not to but if more than that do im bang on it...mix thread urgently needed in my opinion

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
So you think having a dedicated mix thread would get more mix critiqs than the thread that already exists?? When people already arent responding?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
btw, Gearslutz is a forum of engineers. This is a production forum. Alot of people do both, but not everyone. You cant compare the 2

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
So you think having a dedicated mix thread would get more mix critiqs than the thread that already exists?? When people already arent responding?

If it's called a mix thread then yes...showcase is showcase...you wouldn't go to an art showcase to tell the artist how to paint next time if u get my idea sorta thing lol

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Its a feedback thread, not a show off thread. Thats why I rarely post in it, I dont really need feed back on much. Trust me, read fades post in the thread. If you want to showcase your work, theres a whole promo section for that.

Just use it, say you want mix feedback. Like I said before, no one is giving feed back, you cant expect to get blood from a stone. It doesnt make sense

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
hmm, i dont see any difference in production/engineering unless you're a musician with a pure acoustic backline lol. Hiphop production is basicaly an electronica genre since all the gear is the same, you HAVE to know engineering basics eventualy you provide delivery on your productions.

The main difference between GS and ill is that there are much more studio engineers on GS that run 16 + track setups and most cats here dont. They record entire bands while people here mostly record 1 mic and a bit of gear. All the technique, regardless what is used apply to hiphop production just aswell. Imo, leave the engineering aspect out of production and youre left with half baked productions lol

Unless you want to pay an engineer to clean up your mix which is a bad start anyway

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
you HAVE to know engineering basics eventualy you provide delivery on your productions.

That IS the difference, most here know (or are learning) the basics. And thats not a knock on them, its just, they want to deliver productions so they come here. People that want to become/learn engineering go there. Its the markets and branding.

... Imo, leave the engineering aspect out of production and youre left with half baked productions lol

This is true

There are recording engineers, there are mix engineers and there are mastering engineers. ILLmuzik generally isnt filled with the last two. Gearslutz is.

Ill is mostly focused on production, we have producers, mostly. GS Has some producers, but mostly engineers. Like every rule, there are exceptions.

Of coarse, I dont know what GS is now. Last time I checked it didnt compare to the knowledge being tossed around in 07-08ish. Everything has basically been talked about lol

Well, as far as the internet goes, most people are on there personal discover right now, but Im rambling lol

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
LMAO! See this is why I think the world of you cats....hahaha. You can hold a picture up that only has the ground, the Forrest, and the sky. Some people will see the ground, some will see the trees, some will see the sky, some will see 2 out of the three, some will see them all, some won't see anything, some will see ish that isn't there. Get my point?

But yeah, the reviews belong in the Showcase imo, if you want something special critiqued just ask. Just don't rely solely on what you're told because some aren't qualified to answer but will....hahaha

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
There are recording engineers, there are mix engineers and there are mastering engineers. ILLmuzik generally isnt filled with the last two. Gearslutz is.

Ill is mostly focused on production, we have producers, mostly. GS Has some producers, but mostly engineers. Like every rule, there are exceptions.

Of coarse, I dont know what GS is now. Last time I checked it didnt compare to the knowledge being tossed around in 07-08ish. Everything has basically been talked about lol

Well, as far as the internet goes, most people are on there personal discover right now, but Im rambling lol

actualy, its the first 2 if you're being honest since i dont assume anyone here has a real reference for mastering. The thing that GS always has done is discuss high-end gear and make cross-references, these are mostly pro's and makes GS an interesting site for bedroom-techies. Along those lines you will learn that paid engineers explain which facets are beneficial for either mixing, recording and/or mastering.

Like i said before, hiphop production is no different to producing techno. Aside from knowing how to sequence, compose and edit samples, you have to know the mixing ethics and a little recording regards setting up a mic chain. This is were the quality of your production comes from, you dont get any delivery on your tracks from mastering..its all in the mix. Recording vocals, scratches, samplers and synths is the easiest part in hiphop production, but for a noob it will take at least a good 2 years to master it. In this i define a noob anyone who has not ever considered looking into learning how to mix.

The requirements for recording and mixing dont compare to those needed in mastering. I suggest to read more on GS and if you want to go that route, absolutly cool...just get ready to pull out the wallet and a toolbox.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
actualy, its the first 2 if you're being honest since i dont assume anyone here has a real reference for mastering. The thing that GS always has done is discuss high-end gear and make cross-references, these are mostly pro's and makes GS an interesting site for bedroom-techies. Along those lines you will learn that paid engineers explain which facets are beneficial for either mixing, recording and/or mastering.

Yes but like I said, generally we dont have pure mix engineers. We have people that mix tho. It also comes down to what people call themselves, but Im pretty sure, out of the Hundreds of thousands of members, most identify with producer. Like I said, there are exceptions to every rule, and alot of cross over, as all jobs are needed to complete a thorough project in any genre, but its what people identify with.

ie. I myself mix, I love it and Im pretty good, but I wouldnt identify with the title mix engineer. I dont do engineering as a stand alone activity. I do it exclusively within the realm of production.

On GS, you have people that do it exculsively. Not to mention, you have people that engineer for fucking Kanye West, Tupac, and alot of other 90-2011 CLASSIC artists. Theres overlap, but the two sites serve two completely different crowds

Which answers the rest of your post also.

The requirements for recording and mixing dont compare to those needed in mastering. I suggest to read more on GS and if you want to go that route, absolutly cool...just get ready to pull out the wallet and a toolbox.

Absolutely, I still encourage people to learn mastering techniques. Knowledge is leverage, money, and power. Just dont expect to be in the million dollar studios, with million dollar equipment, churning out million dollar mixes lol