Interviews Brooklyn's Tamara Bubble Is A Natural Performer

• beat this! voting starts in...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
tamara.jpg

Tamara Bubble has played live performances at the Apollo Theatre and the Williamsburg music festival. Her strong stage presence always leaves the crowd in tears because she commands attention with her raw vocals and enticing melodies. Tamara has even appeared in the Boston Globe on NBC TV and in numerous blogs, media outlets and publications showing off her irresistible smile, bubbly personality and ultimate love for the camera. She took time out to not only bless Relic with her music but to do this interview.

Where are you located?

Right now I'm in Texas promoting my current single "Pull Them Pants Up". Been in the south for a couple of months working the record. I'm based out of Charlotte while I'm down here, but I spend way too much time in Atlanta and Miami! The south is kinda sexy if I may so myself ^_^.

Where are you from?

Brooook-lynnnnn, LOL I'm BK all day. Shout out to Fort Greene.

When did you start making music?

I've been singing on the church choir since I was old enough to talk and remember the words. Even though I was kinda reserved, I was never afraid of the mic or singing in front of people. I didn't start rapping and songwriting until about three years ago when I started to pursue music professionally.

tamara1.jpg

Why did you start making music?

It wasn't just music, it was entertaining in general. I love singing, acting and modeling. I L-O-V-E the camera! Growing up I always did stupid little "entertaining" things around the house until somebody got annoyed. I used to sing until my sisters told me to shut up and then I'd get louder. They would tell Mommy on me. Either that or I was running around dancing all over the place or trying to shoot a movie starring guest who... LOL I had to beg my baby sister to be the cameraman. I love to laugh, so I tried to keep things bubbly!

I was on my way to becoming the world's greatest accountant until I took a sabbatical from work. I wanted to see if entertaining was something I could do as a career and not just a hobby. I met a producer in Queens at my first professional photo shoot. He was looking for someone to lay some reference vocals to some tracks he produced to submit to Jazmine Sullivan for placement. After I saaaang for him LOL, he asked me "Do you write?" I said "I do now!". I went home and wrote ten songs in like two hours. Once I put the melodies to the music, I had caught the artist bug, bad!

How would you describe your style?

Real, raw and undefined. The best way to figure me out is to try not to. Just when you think I remind you of one artist or I'm going to be the next so-and-so, I'll drop something completely different. I like to keep you on your toes. I like to write about the good, the bad and ugly. I write about what's real to me because that's what people can relate to. Every song is not gonna be about the club because errrrbody ain't got it like that! Somebody got kids at home that they should be feeding. Somebody in college struggling with Ramen noodles and exams. Somebody in 5th grade getting bullied. Somebody's girl is falling in love again for all the wrong reasons. The funny thing is that I can't accurately describe all those songs, all those situations in ONE GENRE! I'm all over the place with it because I'm influenced by sooooo many different genres. I like to blend multiple genres in one song! It's so sexy. It's so creative and the music is just beautiful when you're free to create like that.

Who was your inspiration?

Good music in general! I have so many influences, mostly old school stuff though. Michael Jackson is the ultimate performer and POP KING! When it comes to Jazz, I love me some Ella Fitzgerald and Lena Horne. I'm a rapper too and Biggie does it for me lyrically. He's the reason I take the lyrics so serious. He's just a dope storyteller. I love all those 90's R&B and Gospel groups. I love beautiful harmonies... SWV, Brownstone, Boyz II Men, Take 6, etc. As far as powerful women that sing and rap, Lauryn Hill and Queen Latifah. The list goes on...

Were your parents for or against it?

Ummm a little bit of both. My momma is a preacher! I know better than to be shaking my bubble, half-bucked naked all over the place. I had doubts that my family wouldn't support me, but what I was really afraid of was that my parents would be disappointed in my career choice. When I first told my momma I quit my job to do music, she flew to NY to check on me! She thought I was on drugs! LOL, but I was prepared. I had my whole business plan ready... to explain... not to an investor, but to my momma! I was trying to explain the unexplainable. It wasn't like I just woke up one day and wanted to do this. I just woke up one day and realized I couldn't do without it! With everything I do, I remember my upbringing, my morals. I live by integrity and there are just some things I'm not willing to do to "make-it". I'm willing to put in the extra hours and grind so that I can maintain my self-respect and dignity. Plus, momma would be proud ha.

tamara2.jpg

What was your first song that you dropped?

My first original track that I released was called "Sue You For Love". I love watching Judge Judy. She's the best TV courtroom judge PERIOD, dot, end of discussion. She commands respect! She's dope. Anyway, about 99.9% of the people on that show are not suing for money. They only want their money back because the relationship or friendship or smash session didn't last. They're really suing for the hurt and pain they feel. They just feel used. They're suing for love.

Did someone have to push you to make music?

Nope! Even to this day, I've never had writer's block or anything. The lyrics, the melodies, they come to me. They pop in my head all the time at the weirdest moments and off the smallest things. I've accepted that so now when my brain interrupts my life, I just stop what I'm doing and record the melodies in my phone or write the lyrics down on paper or napkins or whatever I can get my hands on so I don't forget. LOL, I will stop dead in the middle of our conversation and write down the song... sometimes it's the entire song! Sorry to make you wait, but that's money! LOL, or I'll just keep singing until I can't forget it.

Do you still have that same passion?

It's not passion.. LOL, I have a condition! I have a serious problem with this music. I love it so. When it's good, it's so powerful. It's so sexy. I love being able to create!

How have you grown as an artist?

I think I'm definitely comfortable with my style and range. Vocally I do everything from Baritone to Soprano! I'm more comfortable with my delivery in the studio. If the lyrics are sexy, I'm a turn up in the booth. If they're emotional, my goal is to make you cry when you hear the music so you know how I felt when I recorded it. I used to belt out every note, but I've gotten in touch with my softer side... all that Jazz and scatting. It's dope.

My manager Patrick of Pspell Management is also my vocal coach so I have no excuse for not practicing. I still have not learned to shut up though. P is constantly reminding me... save your voice Tamara. You have a show tonight Tamara... sing then. Ok don't sing anymore today, just talk. Sometimes I just can't stop. I have grown a little. I'll sing in my head a little more now LOL, or just hum.

How many songs do you have completed?

Written... I have NO idea. Hundreds! Recorded? Dozens. I have the material. I just want to take my time with the promotions so that my name rolls off your tongue without thinking!

Do you feel artists are making quality albums like in the past or are they just focusing on singles and ring tone sales?

I think artists still focus on albums (especially major artists with the right promotional budget). Indie artists and unsigned need to focus on singles (even if they do albums) because that's your bread and butter. Major artists don't see album sales. Indie artists make a living with their single and albums sales.

What is your favorite album?

It used to be Michael Jackson's BAD album. No shade to MJ, but I like my music more now LOL. My latest project P.ublic S.ervice A.nnoucement is so positive. Not that my previous releases were all negative, but I've never felt so good about being able to give back to society through music. If I inspire one person, I'll be satisfied.

What is your favorite song?

OMG I can't even narrow that down into the Top 100. There are so many good classics!

Where is your favorite place to perform?

The place usually isn't the highlight for me. The people are! Good crowds are dope! I even like the tough crowds. I love the convert them into fans, ha!

Have you won any awards?

No grammys yet... but I've been nominated for several indie awards including songwriting, female artist of the year, best artist website, and video of the year.

Do you like to do collaborations?

I like them, but I don't want anybody's co-sign so I've intentionally steered clear of any collabs so far. I want people to know what I can bring to table. The singing, the scatting, the rapping. The vocal range. The lyrical prowess. The authenticity. The versatility. The collabs will come, but I want to be a household name first ^_^.

Who would you like to work with?

Joell Ortiz, Jasmine Sullivan, Lauryn Hill, J Cole.

Would you consider yourself being main stream?

I have a mainstream appeal. I don't curse. I like to make music you're grandmoms and your grandkids could listen to. But I'm not mainstream yet! The grind is real. Gimme a little more time and the right platform and I'll set the stage ^_^.

What is your favorite music magazine?

Don't have a favorite. I read a lot of books and articles on music marketing. I'm always willing to give a listening ear to a veteran in the game, they know how this business works. The music part is easy, it's the promotions and the business side that many talented artists SUCK at.

Does going platinum matter to you?

Nope. Sales numbers can't be bought just like Twitter followers can... my goal is the respect of my fans and peers for bringing real music. I never want to feel like a fraud or a gimmick. It's one thing to have a good marketing plan. It's a-whole-nother thang LOL, to be a gimmick.

tamara3.jpg

How do you feel about bootlegging?

The music industry hasn't figured out a way to put a lid on it so it's gonna continue. I mean well at least in the US. Overseas you get jail time for bootlegging and they respect music and artists more over there. The industry is flooded here in the U.S. It's not cool, but I think if artists chill on the FREE mixtapes and watered down music overload, it's wouldn't be so bad. If you have one artist with a CD for $10 and another artist in the same industry giving all his music away for free, consumers start to get accustomed to not paying for music, period. Only thing you can do as an artist is put your music up for sale and show people that it's worth buying... NO MORE GIMMICKS LOL.

Are you the best at what you do in your opinion?

Yes. Of course *head swells* lol *definitely feeling herself*.

What artists in R&B do you like? Why?

I like the oldies but goodies... 90's groups. I'm addicted to harmonies.

What do you like to do when you're not recording?

I need fun in my life... card games, video games, amusement parks, pool, bowling, FOOD, ICE, LOL, jokes. I gots to have it!

Do we need more artists like your style?

I think there are more artists like me. Unfortunately they're signed to a major label and maybe don't have the freedom to create music in whatever genre they feel because the label is targeting a specific demographic or whatever style of music is currently trending. Everybody's making the dance and pop stuff now. But 10 years ago they were R&B kings.

When you perform stuff live, what kind of feedback have you been getting?

I usually hear that I command the stage, that I'm good without a hype man or background dancers. That's dope because when I do bring the live band out, the dancing, the background singers, the costumes, my set will definitely be bananas!

In terms of the future, will you hit the road anytime soon?

LOL, I'm on the road, in the south now promoting. Headed to the west coast in May and then back to east coast in June. And if anybody's wondering, I do have my passport ready!! LOL.

Will you ever retire?

Not as long as these songs keep popping in my head!

Is there a dream tour collaboration that you have?

I'd like to go on an all-girls tour with the pioneers in the Hip Hop and R&B game! That would be dope! The industry needs a little more lipstick, but women are generally too competitive (petty, LOL) so they don't get along long enough to build!

Any Shout outs?

Shout out to my team (everybody working behind the scenes). My manager Pspell. My producer Krazyfigz (he produced my latest project P.ublic S.ervice A.nnouncement). My family and MY FANS! Wouldn't be here without you! #BubbleOnDeck

members online