Big La Purchases: 4 Quick Reviews

B

Big La

What's up, Peoples,

I went on a major music mission recently. Picked up a few things I'd been waiting for. Thought I'd pass on my thoughts and some music samples.

Little Brother "The Listening" RATING: (4 / 5)
This is the CD, baby!! I spend weeks scouring the net for trax before this came out! This is the stuff that use to come out back in the 90's, when Tribe and Pete Rock were on top. Dope samples and smooth flows. If you really thought the first Slum Village was hot, this album is for you.

Standout Tracks
What Ever You Say
The Yo-Yo
Nic's Groove (not on CD, but dope!)

King Britt "Adventures in Lo-Fi" RATING: (2.5 / 5)
Anytime I see a new Beat Generation release, I grab it without thinking. Out of the three 'Beat Gen' CD's a bought, this one is the weakest. And it sucks because he has some hot guest spots (Bahamadia, Dice Raw, De La Soul, etc.). I really dug his first CD a few years back and thought it was gonna be some of the same. I'm not saying this CD sucks, it's just gonna take some getting use to. It's some next sh**. I'm sure it'll grow... hopefully....

Standout Tracks (if any)
Apollo Creed (f/ Will Brodie)
Next Plateau (f/ Capitol A)

DJ Spinna "Here to There" RATING: (3 / 5)
Ah, now this is more like it! This is a Beat Generation release. Not as good a Pete Rocks, or Jazzy Jeff's, but it's up there! He's got some real beat gangers, mixed with some good soul flavor.He does go off-base with some dance, and conga stuff, but as a whole, it's a pretty tight CD.

Standout Tracks
Galactic Soul
Hold (f/ Jean Grae, Apani B)
You Got To Live (f/ Jigamasteas, Akil)

Will.I.Am "Lost Change RATING: (3 / 5)
To Be Honest, this sounds like just another Black Eyed Peas release. I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but I saw that he had Planet Asia, Mike Myers, and Medusa on tracks. This is another one that has to grow on me. Been bumpin' the Terry Dexter R&B-ish cut for a week now. And Planet Asia's flow helps out. Not bad...

Standout Tracks
Lay Me Down (f/ Terry Dexter)
Ev Rebahdee (f/ Planet Asia)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Good review. The Spinna tracks sound pretty good, and the Will I Am LP is not bad. I got it last year and there's a few standouts, but mostly nothing special.