Beats on Rap Albums

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
How the hell is it that on the average rap album, in my opinion there are maybe three tight beats? I mean, when you think about the fact that if I went to all the soundclick pages of Illmuzik cats, I could easily come up with an entire album of heat, it seems pretty crazy how proffessional rappers couldn't choose at least like ten clean ones for an album. Do most rappers just suck at choosing beats? I don't know, maybe I'm just a picky listener, but either way I trust my ear and am amazed at the lowness of batting average of major rap beats. Is it just me, what do y'all think?

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
I completely agree with you. Alot of things come into play though....sum rappers just suck at picking beats like you said,but also there is label execs tellin u shyt is hot when its not and there is that pesky budget,or one of there boys did the beat.......only 3 tight beats on your rap albums though? U have been pickin up sum wack albums

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
A rapper listens for different things then what we (as producers) listen for. Most rappers want a beat that gives off a mood there looking for, or a beat that matches a written they have wrote. You have to understand that some songs are on more of a personal level. But then again, some rappers just suck! At picking beats and at rapping. I know alot of artists that I've worked with have picked some of my wack beats (IMO) a couple of times.

I hate when they do that, but then again sometimes a rappers performance can make a wack ass beat, raw as a bitch. So, it would depend on what your listening for or comparing it too. I always find myself skipping through a cd no matter how iLL it is. So alot of times what it is, is that there is a cut or two or three on there that just doesn't compare to the rest of the album. There is always them bangin ass tracks and then the mediokre tracks and the ones that just suck...

Ado

The Rappin' Dead
ill o.g.
I think most artists in the game just want to sell anyway. So they put those three tight beats out as singles and save the million other hot beats for the singles for other albums. I learned that by listenin to Nelly. But on the contrary, a cd that has some flame is the Roots album the Tipping Point.

Nuff B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
it is really not the beats that are quality its about the name of the people and sometimes it is politics and maybe they like that beat its there music they only need a couple of tight beats to sell records they aint worried about the fills in the album they want thos three singles to stand out. holla at ya boy
www.soundclick.com/omegasounddesigns

MaZaMuNe

AKA Westnyle Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 36
Maybes its the label's rule of three and theres a conspiracy about how they release garbage tracks just to fill albums to make more money and save the good tracks for later albums keeping them totally underground even to the greatest bootlegers worldwide? just a theory lol...

Bloodybastid

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Maybe it's because most of Hip-Hop is wack as all Hell right now???? I find myself listening to Hip-Hop less and less these days...it's great that I got into producing...because it definitely introduced me to many different types of music.

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
o-a-ksavage said:
How the hell is it that on the average rap album, in my opinion there are maybe three tight beats? I mean, when you think about the fact that if I went to all the soundclick pages of Illmuzik cats, I could easily come up with an entire album of heat. QUOTE]

I thought about that shit the other day. I listen to a lot of cats pages and I started to wonder why these niggas ain't getting paid. I went to the cats that have won the comps like, class, coldtruth, PG, and etc. ILLMUZIK has a lot to offer but rappers don't look down this far. They looking for just blaze, timberland, kanye, and etc. When hungry niggas down here at the bottom of the bucket, starving just wanting on a shot. And when you think about it, when you listen to some of these albums, some beats do not really catch you the first time you hear it. It has to grow on you. When you go to some of these cats pages at ILLMUZIK, the beat jump on you as soon as hear it. Rappers need to start making a serious visit to this site and Dynamic Producer and do some real shopping. Peace.

Maknbeats

Back to Work
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 56
It could be a money thing to. The hotter the beat the more you are going to want to charge for it too.. right? I mean it all depends on the rapper too, but if 50 wanted your beat you would charge more for it to him then you would if it was somebody not well known, i mean i would. But also politics im sure has alot of shit to do with it too. The one gettin you going has his producers under his wing and is also trying to promote them so even when the beats aren't that hott, they might just put them on it anyways to promote them.... I'm sure there is alot more to it though, but that's some of the stuff that came up to my mind.

Ambition

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think that they are trying to follow a format and they get stuck in that and don't pick hot beats. I think that Common is the same rapper he was when he first came out now all with Mr. West producing his album it's his best work to date

monumental

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
Bloodybastid said:
Maybe it's because most of Hip-Hop is wack as all Hell right now???? I find myself listening to Hip-Hop less and less these days...it's great that I got into producing...because it definitely introduced me to many different types of music.

i agree 100% hip hop is for sure at a all time low and what's worse is that the actual mainstream hip hop is worse then ever aswell, the whole genre is being rept by studio g's, like game and the unit, like primo said that shit is garbage. Remember in 96 when biggie and pac fought over mainstream airplay both dropping bangers that i still rock today and lets not forgot atliens.

BROUSSARD BEATS

BroussardGoHard
ill o.g.
The thing is don't put all your good songs on one album
and a well paid raper is not going to give a small no name producer big money
Plus they will try and buy the beat flat out and say one of thier producers did it
I see this all the time
So watch your beat cds most people play by ear
if they hear it they can go home and make it
if you going to be a producer find an mc and work with him
get your name out there becuz the clock is tic n
see i love coming to illmuzik ,but you cats need to work more with each other
im on this other site and my song has been #1 for 4 weeks and still going
im working with rapers ,r&B,rock im tryin to do it all. people calling me emailing me for a
remix
My point is, there is too many people in here with good beats so why can't we make some of theses mc on here Hot
beat this winners need to be producing someone
your beat wins and what ????????

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
J Rillas response almost hit it on the nail i think....And alot of you guys have added some really potentially good info to the topic as well....The one thing i didnt notice anyone comment about though, is the actual "degredation" of the business model that the music industry is currently riding on now......That, almost in essence - is the reason for all of it, and that goes into play for many genres not just hiphop. The current model is fucked like some of u guys poked at and thats the truth, mutherfuckers dont wanna hear something of quality anymore cuz everything is changing in the process around us and people would rather settle for whats free and dam near free, or just easy to consume and not hard to think about....with that said, think about the fact that these cats go into a studio to make a huge costly album with all this great gear and professional musicians often and then afterwards its now highly marketed towards to MP3 crowd and the ones who download songs that cost dough....thing is people dont care as much about the quality of their music that they get as compared to before and so in the process artists and companies are now shoving dirt under the table instead of scoopin it up and puttin it in the garbage so to speak....Thats just one example, theres many other factors that come into play to affect whats goin on here, but i jus wanted to note that since no one else mentioned it yet.

STEEZ

ill o.g.
I think possibly that alot of people respondin to this thread are bein a little too cocky sayin that most hip hop albums comin out lately have mostly wack beatson them, I think a professional producer would be able to hear these beats and notice how much work actually goes into producing them

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
SpLitPerSonaliT said:
I think a professional producer would be able to hear these beats and notice how much work actually goes into producing them

no matter how much work u put in, a wack beat is a wack beat. it dont matter if a guy has spent a day on a beat, it aint gonna get it much hotter if it was already weak.

sAfE.

SketchUp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Equelizer said:
I thought about that shit the other day. I listen to a lot of cats pages and I started to wonder why these niggas ain't getting paid. I went to the cats that have won the comps like, class, coldtruth, PG, and etc. ILLMUZIK has a lot to offer but rappers don't look down this far. They looking for just blaze, timberland, kanye, and etc. When hungry niggas down here at the bottom of the bucket, starving just wanting on a shot. And when you think about it, when you listen to some of these albums, some beats do not really catch you the first time you hear it. It has to grow on you. When you go to some of these cats pages at ILLMUZIK, the beat jump on you as soon as hear it. Rappers need to start making a serious visit to this site and Dynamic Producer and do some real shopping. Peace.

i totally agree with this, if rappers looked down this far they could get quality beats for a low price. people talkin about the budget that rappers got for an album and thats why they got like 3 tight beats on there, but if they looked here......problem solved.

Ado

The Rappin' Dead
ill o.g.
SketchUp said:
i totally agree with this, if rappers looked down this far they could get quality beats for a low price. people talkin about the budget that rappers got for an album and thats why they got like 3 tight beats on there, but if they looked here......problem solved.

I agree. But do you think that the people who actually look to normal people would give props? Like, you might get you name in a cd insert but say you made the sickest beat to ever be spat on by an artist, would they mention your name?