Beat This! Competition - April 5-6, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
Congrats to @GuttaTennekey and myself! The real winners!

Tom Cruise Deal With It GIF by reactionseditor

NonxG

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 248
@GuttaTennekey Jup deserved, congratulations! Vibin Guitars is awesome. Did you played the guitar or used a sampler? really interested because for me it sounds like a sampler, maybe a kontakt library? awesome how you keeped it interesting, throwing in the flutes and a great bassline (good sound selection and also mixed).

@BrianAkaBear man with slapping drums like a usual jay-z track this would have been the winner for me. great track, great instrumental but the drums needed way more punch i think.

@GrooveGenius jup modern slow jamz, like it a lot. great vocals, good reverb sound, everything fits nicely but the kick... to "high" for me with no omph sorry. doesn´t add for me to the bass that good.

@couch trax would have got my vote too, hard to judge. but i was too sick to vote for. very musically, great groove, awesome fills, best bootsy collins vibes.

@V.J. Retro jep its dope. instrumental modern like GrooveGenius but the drum track with the bass and groove (with your BD) gives this a really unique vibe.

@Armani this is a jazze pha production! You should have added. :D Haha nice one. I hate this clap, the 00er years so outdated but gives me nice flashbacks. nice guitar, nice arrangement, mix is also pretty good for me. kept it interesting, also i hear the musician. really dope.

@Bandia Gotach misses a little bit of separation, the piano overshadows everything a little bit too much. but i like it, good sound choice, the bassline is dope.

@because_beats nice instrumental, your beat has this oomph. but this kind of white-noise-hihat is kind of too dominant to me, distracts a little bit, to just lay down into this nice instrumental. but also really great.

@Cmyrick2510 starts a little bit with clipping? but i hear the slow jamz vibes. the strings aren´t that good sounding. sounds like nexus (use it myself a lot). :LOL: i see the ideas and potential but they come kind of unexpecting, to suddenly. this beats needs i think a little bit more work on the build up.

@DeadBassRecords although not that much of a slow jam vibe, there´s a piano note in it i would have equed because it has so much bass in it. your basslines does the work. despite that a good trap track.

@guitardep musical wise i dig that but the sound selection and mix could i think be better. the drums don´t mix that good with this "pad-dy" sound. changing the hihat groove is really nice, something that i would like to hear way more often in trap-like beats. the change at the end comes unexpected, would have liked to hear what comes next - but 2:00 isn´t enough for slow jamz.

@I-Just nice groove, the growling synth in the background is dope. those bitreduction stuff works also - nice vocals and your work with the tuning. deserved some points, like it. hearing trough my headphones, the drums seem to me a little bit to loud, especially the snare.

@InsideOutBeats yep it´s slow but i don´t really catch the vibe, is it too much midi sounding. a grand piano with a rhode (drift) effect on isn´t i think working that good. grand piano better clean or honky tonky like a western my opinion. especially groove wise this could be way more better. the bass doesn´t add to a fine groove, it sounds a little bit too "computerated". sorry to say but i hope it will help. not that im a genius at judging, who cares and i´m not, but if you need help or have questions just holler at me.

@Iron Keys as i thought before listening, this would be good musical wise and it is. nice to have a contestant using vocoder. this works good. only problem are the drums for me. it sounds a little bit like a "undynamic" sampler, always same level, overshadowing the rest a little bit too much. but i like the beat, way more musical than i am.

@Moselly the mix is really not that good. no bass, everything in a limited mid-frequency space. adding sid-sounds i like but it doesn´t add then. musical wise i see potential but mix wise i think there´s much to learn.

@onsequitur the mix is also not that convincing. but u used mellotron sounds? sounds like, always like it. the bass is kind of unrecognizable via headphones and it should. would actually work on how to mix a little bit better because i think there´s potential, the sound selection i find good, what you add to the beat.

@pressBIBLEthump sorry to say but this isn´t what the contest asked for. also it sounds like you put a limiter on that killed everything. not that kind of distortion likeable, clipping sometimes like hell. maybe learn a little bit about gain-staging, that will i think help a lot to improve.

@SJAMBOK BEATS nice intro, you used some samples i did too but couldn´t get around which one. we sound especially mix wise really similar (good and bad). like it and see improvement like i should have. the hihats are good, this orchestral sound in the background would work i think a little bit better, if it changed the direction also. but the beat is dope.

Throw away whatever you think isn´t good judged. i listened to it and gave a fast answer. Maybe it´ll help, maybe just call it bullshit. No problem with that, it´s just my fast opinion.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
@Iron Keys as i thought before listening, this would be good musical wise and it is. nice to have a contestant using vocoder. this works good. only problem are the drums for me. it sounds a little bit like a "undynamic" sampler, always same level, overshadowing the rest a little bit too much. but i like the beat, way more musical than i am.

Thanks for the feedback and good words!

only problem are the drums for me. it sounds a little bit like a "undynamic" sampler, always same level, overshadowing the rest a little bit too much.

Hm that's interesting, as I used multiple samples and velocity layers etc.
The drums overshadowed the musical elements?

but i like the beat, way more musical than i am.

Appreciate you. I still wish I could be far more musical than I am

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
@GrooveGenius jup modern slow jamz, like it a lot. great vocals, good reverb sound, everything fits nicely but the kick... to "high" for me with no omph sorry. doesn´t add for me to the bass that good.

I appreciate the feedback! What set of monitors do you have @NonxG ?

@GuttaTennekey Jup deserved, congratulations! Vibin Guitars is awesome. Did you played the guitar or used a sampler? really interested because for me it sounds like a sampler, maybe a kontakt library? awesome how you keeped it interesting, throwing in the flutes and a great bassline (good sound selection and also mixed).

@BrianAkaBear man with slapping drums like a usual jay-z track this would have been the winner for me. great track, great instrumental but the drums needed way more punch i think.

@couch trax would have got my vote too, hard to judge. but i was too sick to vote for. very musically, great groove, awesome fills, best bootsy collins vibes.

@V.J. Retro jep its dope. instrumental modern like GrooveGenius but the drum track with the bass and groove (with your BD) gives this a really unique vibe.

@Armani this is a jazze pha production! You should have added. :D Haha nice one. I hate this clap, the 00er years so outdated but gives me nice flashbacks. nice guitar, nice arrangement, mix is also pretty good for me. kept it interesting, also i hear the musician. really dope.

@Bandia Gotach misses a little bit of separation, the piano overshadows everything a little bit too much. but i like it, good sound choice, the bassline is dope.

@because_beats nice instrumental, your beat has this oomph. but this kind of white-noise-hihat is kind of too dominant to me, distracts a little bit, to just lay down into this nice instrumental. but also really great.

@Cmyrick2510 starts a little bit with clipping? but i hear the slow jamz vibes. the strings aren´t that good sounding. sounds like nexus (use it myself a lot). :LOL: i see the ideas and potential but they come kind of unexpecting, to suddenly. this beats needs i think a little bit more work on the build up.

@DeadBassRecords although not that much of a slow jam vibe, there´s a piano note in it i would have equed because it has so much bass in it. your basslines does the work. despite that a good trap track.

@guitardep musical wise i dig that but the sound selection and mix could i think be better. the drums don´t mix that good with this "pad-dy" sound. changing the hihat groove is really nice, something that i would like to hear way more often in trap-like beats. the change at the end comes unexpected, would have liked to hear what comes next - but 2:00 isn´t enough for slow jamz.

@I-Just nice groove, the growling synth in the background is dope. those bitreduction stuff works also - nice vocals and your work with the tuning. deserved some points, like it. hearing trough my headphones, the drums seem to me a little bit to loud, especially the snare.

@InsideOutBeats yep it´s slow but i don´t really catch the vibe, is it too much midi sounding. a grand piano with a rhode (drift) effect on isn´t i think working that good. grand piano better clean or honky tonky like a western my opinion. especially groove wise this could be way more better. the bass doesn´t add to a fine groove, it sounds a little bit too "computerated". sorry to say but i hope it will help. not that im a genius at judging, who cares and i´m not, but if you need help or have questions just holler at me.

@Moselly the mix is really not that good. no bass, everything in a limited mid-frequency space. adding sid-sounds i like but it doesn´t add then. musical wise i see potential but mix wise i think there´s much to learn.

@onsequitur the mix is also not that convincing. but u used mellotron sounds? sounds like, always like it. the bass is kind of unrecognizable via headphones and it should. would actually work on how to mix a little bit better because i think there´s potential, the sound selection i find good, what you add to the beat.

@pressBIBLEthump sorry to say but this isn´t what the contest asked for. also it sounds like you put a limiter on that killed everything. not that kind of distortion likeable, clipping sometimes like hell. maybe learn a little bit about gain-staging, that will i think help a lot to improve.

@SJAMBOK BEATS nice intro, you used some samples i did too but couldn´t get around which one. we sound especially mix wise really similar (good and bad). like it and see improvement like i should have. the hihats are good, this orchestral sound in the background would work i think a little bit better, if it changed the direction also. but the beat is dope.

Throw away whatever you think isn´t good judged. i listened to it and gave a fast answer. Maybe it´ll help, maybe just call it bullshit. No problem with that, it´s just my fast opinion.
Guitar sample with some special sauce added

NonxG

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 248
Hm that's interesting, as I used multiple samples and velocity layers etc.
The drums overshadowed the musical elements?
yep pretty unspecific what i said. listened again it´s the snare. when i hear this kind of drum set in a hiphop beat i always compare it to how it would probably sound with questlove. the snare is not stacked or? constantly playing on 2 and 4 with no snare-fills. here it sounds like kind a single repeating sample loop. this said because i find it pretty difficult to get a real drum set sounding good in a hiphop beat. difficult to make it sound not too repetitive. when i try i always stack this kind of snare with a clap, mixed quiet and set different on the grid to just get a different "transient outcome", not changing the whole sound.

I appreciate the feedback! What set of monitors do you have @NonxG ?
i have ev´s i don´t use anymore. here i used my headphones which are not that linear. :unsure: in your case no problem with the mix just the sound selection, meaning it´s just my personal impression. (y)

Reactions: VVS
Status
Not open for further replies.