beat naming convention

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
I need a new beat naming system.

I started off naming by the vibe I get off the song. Nope. unless the beat screams its name this can end in frustration with me entering the first bullshit name I can come up with. Trying to sound cool while avoiding repetitive names that will wreck my hopes of connecting with my seqs gets tiresome.

A smarter system would reduce the amount of choice inherent, thus saving time. I tried date_time_type, that list started making me dizzy after about twenty files. Worse, it was hard to connect the sound/feel of the track to a serial code name.
And each time the new style had a problem; lengthy filenames, meaningless names, unappealing names.

So here's the question, how do you do it? and why?

Is marketing really a factor?
Which do you think will get more hits; rent boogie 2.5 or 061416_blues?

Most likely I will settle on an unknown blend of the methods mentioned. Still, your opinion is valued, thanks in advance.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Good topic.

I used to name them too by vibe but after a while it really doesn't matter what you name it because even if it's from a vibe when you did the beat, will you remember it later on?

So I just name my beats by date like 2016-06-15 and if I do more than one beat then I just a letter to the end like 2016-06-15b.

Once I get to the point where I'm turning the beat into a full beat or song, that's when I'll give it a name, depending on what the project is.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
Like @Fade said, it really doesnt matter what name you end up going with at the end. It would most likely change once an artist gets on it.

I still name my beats on whatever vibe it gives off. sometimes I pick a sound thats interesting or unique on beat, and base it off of that. for example;

I named this one "Burn Down" because of the Hi hats that reminded me of something burning or sizzling.

This I named "Dreams", because of what I was going through during the time I made it. Which, later on, became "Jane Eyre".

My tip though, always name your beats. It gives value to what you just made. You want your music to have meaning and direction.

members online