Basslines off key

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
hey guys, i've run into this problem a ton with my time with reason. whenever i try to lay down a bassline, sometimes it'll be off-key from my samples that i've chopped up. how do people deal with this or is there a proper technique?

thanks in advance, kinda a novice question

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
the only way is by ear .... u have to tune the sample properly then make sure ur playin notes in the right key ... a good trick that works is using a diffrent sound that stands out more than a bass, get the pattern and key correct, and then just substitute that sound with ur bassline. Cake.

Bass selection is important too... some basses just dont work in certain songs... some tracks require a more midrangey bass and some require a deeper bass ... using the wrong tone of bass can make ur bass sound akward and off even if it is on-key... so its a mixture of all those things

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
precisely right, i deal with that problem sometimes too, but it's the easies to first play a piano or a strings sequence and then replace it, what ash said.

or just look for a part of the song, with good bass in it.. take that bass out, and use that bass on the piano sequence, now u know that u'll have the right bass, and it's easier to get it in key.. just have to make sure u timestretch, so it wont transpose

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
And to piggieback off what Ash Holmz said, try listening to your stuff with headphones. Especially like some crappy walkman headphones. Then you can really hear what your basslines sound like. If they are playing in the right key and junk. Or play the same bassline in a higher octive on your keyboard to check if you are hitting the right notes or not.

T

TheMost

If u use the nnxt you can play with the fine button wich fixes up the sample a bit by fine tuning it, thats what i do when the samepl is off.

T

TheMost

if you import the sample into an nnxt, you just find out what key the sample is actually in, then set the root key to the right key and make fine adjustments with the knobs

how do i find uot what key the sample is in.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
how do i find uot what key the sample is in.
use a piano for example and just hit the note that sounds like the note from the sample by ear..