Are you a Music Collector?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I was sitting here going thru some of my music collection and some of my playlists that I've put together over the years and it dawned on me that I have a lot of music! Well I knew I had a lot but I didn't realize exactly how much until today.

I think thats it's important to grab everything that you can get your hands on, new or old. I don't think that music is ever gonna fade away but it's obvious that it isn't what it used to be. Then thinking back, and hearing Questlove from "The Roots" say that they were the last black band signed to a major label really has put an emphasis on collecting music for me.

For me it goes beyond just collecting music to sample. Funny thing is, I've grabbed everybody that I can think of, and some that I never knew existed and just when I start feeling good about my collection, I find 2 or 3 more dope groups/bands that I missed. It amazes me, how relevant music was in our lives back in the day compared to how it is today.

So my question to you all is... Are you a Music Collector or do you just keep your favorite songs? Do you only collect to "sample"? Do you not collect at all?

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I just buy records now to listen to. I used to just buy stuff to sample, but that was a long time ago. I have enough stuff to sample, so I just buy records for listening these days. I don't have a monstrous collection, but enough to be comfortable for a long time :)

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
i'm a fan. the majority of my stuff is in mp3 format, but i have a lot of music that spans all genres and multiple decades. this reminds me, i really need to rip the rest of my cds. every now and then i'll wake up with a song in my head and be like, "i have that album somewhere," then i have to track down where was the last place i saw my cd books. don't have much vinyl, but when i go visit my parents, they have everything from the 60s - 80s.

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
i still have some tapes that i turned into mp3s. i have gb's of music on my backup harddrive. mostly older stuff. stuff from 10 years ago and back. i do have newer stuff but i dont buy that as much as i used to.

i still have some tapes that i turned into mp3s. i have gb's of music on my backup harddrive. mostly older stuff. stuff from 10 years ago and back. i do have newer stuff but i dont buy that as much as i used to.

I have loads of old tapes, but the last time I dug them out they were all up and down were they had been near a magnet. To say I was gutted would be an understatement

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
that sucks. next to albums i always liked the sound quality of cassette tapes. i still own a cassette player.

that sucks. next to albums i always liked the sound quality of cassette tapes. i still own a cassette player.

yeah man, my favorite album on tape was Wu Tang - Enter The Wu Tang, the bass on that tape was fucking amazing. I had a good old sharp tape recorder with a recording level you could really max out. I even used to push the little foam thingy out with a screwdriver to make it push the tape against the tape head to the max before recording, to get the best possible recording. But damn, magnetic media just wasnt built to last, lol.
My last tape recorder packed up about 4 years ago, I never replaced it.

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
the last tape i bought was the craig mack flava in ya ear album. i used to have an old cassette that i used to record a sample on then record it back onto the computer. it gave a slightly different sound. the older the tape was the grimier the sound was recorded back into the computer. been a while since i done that.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I do have a lot of music that I like to listen to...

On my iPod I have an oldies section with motown and salsa records....

I have some dope r&b (real r&b from the 70s) on my ipod...sometimes I just vibe out to them hardcore...