Anybody else into car audio?

• warzone (oct 8-12) signup begins in...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Yesterday, I put 2 Soundstream Rubicons and a pair of Kicker CVR's in my brother-in-laws 08 Max. Man that car is hitting hard. I'm guessing that it's in the mid to upper 140's maybe even low 150's. The bass is running 2 ohms stereo (which is what the amp is stable at...). I would have preferred running it at least 1 ohm mono but the amp can't handle that.

I built a 96 extended cab chevy pickup that competed in 4 db drags and 1 sound quality, and it won ALL first places...then the owner sold the truck. :(. It had 4 15" Orion Subs powered by 2 Orion HCCA mono blocks and 1 4 channel Orion HCCA. All 3 amps were installed in the rear door with a lexan glass cover over them making the door see-thru on the inside. Very nice setup! The truck was hitting mid 160's in the 100 watt class. Imagine that... lol.

Back in the day, I had an extended cab Nissan Hardbody with 2 12" Lanzars (one behind each seat) and a 15" Soundstream in the middle ( 1 box with 3 seperate chambers). I ran a U.S. Amps VLX-50 to power the subs and a Yamaha 4 channel to run the fronts. I never did turn everything all the way up on it and it hit 151 at the shop.

Today I don't have anything in my truck but the factory Bose system but I'm about to drop a couple of cheap 12's and a amp in the back to give me a little bottom. I miss those days of thumping hard.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
I know I may be changing the subject, I was telling my girl a while ago you dont see/hear people with the sound systems in their cars anymore like we used to in the 90's.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I really want that, but I wonder if it will fuck up the mixes if I dont mix to "stock" .. I mean thats my ref shit stock speakers..

Relic if you're using your car system as a reference, then the most I would do is add an amp and some subwoofers just for some bottom. You can always have the installer to put a remote switch in that you could use to turn your subs on and off and still play the factory system only when needed.

I know I may be changing the subject, I was telling my girl a while ago you dont see/hear people with the sound systems in their cars anymore like we used to in the 90's.

Oz, it's still kicking strong here at Ft. Bragg and NC in general, however I don't see it as much when I go out of state. I think the car audio business has taken hits but nowhere near as bad as home audio systems.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Relic if you're using your car system as a reference, then the most I would do is add an amp and some subwoofers just for some bottom. You can always have the installer to put a remote switch in that you could use to turn your subs on and off and still play the factory system only when needed.

Oz, it's still kicking strong here at Ft. Bragg and NC in general, however I don't see it as much when I go out of state. I think the car audio business has taken hits but nowhere near as bad as home audio systems.

You right, I can't remember the last time I turned my stereo on. The average person these days will only listen to music in their car, on their PC, or mp3 player.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Personally I think it sucks... Chris (dp) and a few others would probably find room to argue this point but mp3 players and some computers just can't reproduce the sound quality that you get from home stereo's in my opinion. Car Stereo's actually can, I found some higher end car stereo head units that actually have better specs than most, (not all), high end home stereo's. I have no clue as to why but it's true.

Mp3 players have their place and computers speak for themselves but the over saturation of them has all but destroyed home stereo. I guess thats just one of those things that really "is what it is"...lol. It's sad because you just can't get as creative with anything like you can with a Car Stereo Setup. I've seen some pretty wild ish!

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Personally I think it sucks... Chris (dp) and a few others would probably find room to argue this point but mp3 players and some computers just can't reproduce the sound quality that you get from home stereo's in my opinion. Car Stereo's actually can, I found some higher end car stereo head units that actually have better specs than most, (not all), high end home stereo's. I have no clue as to why but it's true.

Mp3 players have their place and computers speak for themselves but the over saturation of them has all but destroyed home stereo. I guess thats just one of those things that really "is what it is"...lol. It's sad because you just can't get as creative with anything like you can with a Car Stereo Setup. I've seen some pretty wild ish!

Systems in the home nowadays are geared more toward watching movies instead of audio. the mp3 boom is what made that change happen. i'm running my home system with an onkyo receiver and klipch speakers, but it really makes no difference when all i'm listening to is mp3s from my appletv.

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
I have 2 different boxes in my car. I have an 1100 watt sub box powered by an 800 watt rockford amp. and an 800 watt regular box powered by a 500 watt amp to balance out the sound. without that it would be all bass in the trunk which is good but i like clarity. my brother customized the boxes for me with blue LED's.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
I guess I know where to go once I get to this lol

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I have 2 different boxes in my car. I have an 1100 watt sub box powered by an 800 watt rockford amp. and an 800 watt regular box powered by a 500 watt amp to balance out the sound. without that it would be all bass in the trunk which is good but i like clarity. my brother customized the boxes for me with blue LED's.

Niiiice! Now thats what I'm talking about. Im a big clarity freak myself. Im guessing 1 box is for sub bass and the other box for hitting bass, that would really balance it out nice and cover the whole bass range. If you have the sub box facing the rear and the hitting bass pointed towards the front you would really be on to something...lol.

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
Niiiice! Now thats what I'm talking about. Im a big clarity freak myself. Im guessing 1 box is for sub bass and the other box for hitting bass, that would really balance it out nice and cover the whole bass range. If you have the sub box facing the rear and the hitting bass pointed towards the front you would really be on to something...lol.

I have the regular box facing up, right under where the factory speakers used to be mounted. the sub box is right in front of that pointing toward the back of the car in the trunk.