Accents

K.C

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What are your thoughts on accents in Hip-Hop, if you have had the misfourtune of hearing any "aussie hip hop" your ears may still be recovering, what does it come down to ? is putting on an American accent from a rapper outside the US really a big deal ?

E

Equality 7-2521

lol

do you really think our scene is that wack? sure there is lots of wack stuff. but yo there is lots of dope stuff too.

and yeah i reckon putting on an accent is wack. tis fake

K.C

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Alright there are afew groups Hilltop and 1200 they aint bad, but if putting on a accent is fake and not "real", how about Australian producers sampling American stuff ? to me theres no difference, if their going to be so aggressive about rappers using accents then they should go all the way to down to production, use Australian only samples, if they really want to reperesent. to me thats fake !

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
StressWon said:
Yeah its weird, but it just goes to show how diverse Hip Hop as a culture really is. Somethin that started in the BX and now is world wide is pretty cool. Accenys bug me out, but all different American have accents too. We're just used to ours.

that's it I think.
I like accents in hip hop. I love english hip hop and you can def. tell they are from england.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
yknow, accents don't really bother me. i mean, yes, of course i like to be able to understand what they are saying so if the accent is too heavy it's not so great. but like, lol, i'll just use bliss n eso since i'm all about them right now, like, they definitely have an aussie accent. but it's perfectly understandable and it's some sweet shit. accents really just don't bother me. and british hip hop, fuck, that's all good too. i don't mind an english accent one bit. i actually find it refreshing to hear something a little different. so accents for me, are all good.

one thing that's weird for me though is listening to rap in another language. ex. MC Solar. like, when i heard that shit, i was like, ehhhhhh, i dunno about this. some languages i think just don't sound that great for rapping. like, he does some songs in french, and some in spanish, and some in english i think. and the french ones i was never diggin that much. but the spanish ones, even though i couldn't understand it, it just sounded good. the french just didn't flow with me. i dunno, but that's my take on it.

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
Accents don't bother me. I started listening to "The Streets" a while back and now that shit seems normal to me. Some of the slang is different, but I kinda like that. I guess his style is more Garage, but I still view it as a form of Hip Hop.

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
I have no idea what Solar ever said but I enjoyed his first album. I thought the French flowed well. The point for me is that I enjoy foreign rappers in their native tongue, not english. They abviously lack the flow, as would if I tried to rhyme in Cantonese. As far as accents go, I've never heard an Aussie MC, so I can't touch that, but There are plenty of tight Brit MC's. And really how would a Brit or Aussie accent in a flow be less legit than from Dirty South or Midwest? Its all English.

tricky spinz said:
yknow, accents don't really bother me. i mean, yes, of course i like to be able to understand what they are saying so if the accent is too heavy it's not so great. but like, lol, i'll just use bliss n eso since i'm all about them right now, like, they definitely have an aussie accent. but it's perfectly understandable and it's some sweet shit. accents really just don't bother me. and british hip hop, fuck, that's all good too. i don't mind an english accent one bit. i actually find it refreshing to hear something a little different. so accents for me, are all good.

one thing that's weird for me though is listening to rap in another language. ex. MC Solar. like, when i heard that shit, i was like, ehhhhhh, i dunno about this. some languages i think just don't sound that great for rapping. like, he does some songs in french, and some in spanish, and some in english i think. and the french ones i was never diggin that much. but the spanish ones, even though i couldn't understand it, it just sounded good. the french just didn't flow with me. i dunno, but that's my take on it.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
i have nothing against rappers with accents, but being an American, it does take some getting used to. I actually think its dope to see how far Hip Hop has gone in the world. I dont know if i could handle hearing a guy flow with a thick japanese accent though, they'd be saying all their L's as R's like "im the irrest emcee, to ever frip a track".....lol

T

The Bastard

no offense to anyone from the uk but i cant stand listening to english accents for very long, i cant watch movies with them and i cant listen to music with them. if its subtle then i wont really mind but if its strong then i cant even listen to 2 minutes of it.unless i know theres sum diehard bloody battles in it like braveheart.a lot of people might think the same of my boston accent when i go to diffrent parts of the country people are like what the fuck are you saying,but the ladies get wet over it ;)

C

Copenhagen

As long as the beat is fresh and the mc has a tight flow, I don't care about language or accent...because to me it will still have that feeling. I've always been more about the beats than the lyrics though...so that may explain something.

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
BASTARD said:
a lot of people might think the same of my boston accent when i go to diffrent parts of the country people are like what the fuck are you saying,but the ladies get wet over it ;)

only place the ladies are gettin wet is their eyes cuz they are laughing so hard at the yankees kicking the crap out of the sox and you being a die hard boston fan. hahahahaha.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
two words:
roots manuva
two extra words:
fuckin dope

T

The Bastard

tricky spinz said:
only place the ladies are gettin wet is their eyes cuz they are laughing so hard at the yankees kicking the crap out of the sox and you being a die hard boston fan. hahahahaha.
wheres the mets fans at,whats everyone in ny just wanan back up a winning team ,weeeaaak

T

The Bastard

they are open only thing i heard was the crack of ortiz's bat pushin this series to game 5,baddabing big papis commin to newyork

members online