4th deciple Killah Preist Beats Style..

erkl

Funky Walker Dirty Talker
ill o.g.
Capadonna - the pillage, Killah Priest - heavy mental

if your familiar with these alblums, both wicked shit.. anyone know where i could get string/piano/organ sounds like the ones they use ? old modules or something, or samples ?

pretty much all wu tang sounding stuff......

Medicine Man

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
erkl said:
Capadonna - the pillage, Killah Priest - heavy mental

if your familiar with these alblums, both wicked shit.. anyone know where i could get string/piano/organ sounds like the ones they use ? old modules or something, or samples ?

pretty much all wu tang sounding stuff......

Heavy Mental is one of my favorite hip-hop albums of all time. Most cats I know didn't like it but I thought it had a unique ass sound that I really dug. Most of the album's tracks have beats that are sampled, because if you look in the sleeve it says were the samples came from for each beat.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Classical Strings man....go dig for old Classical vinyl....also Vinyl that is in the corner of the store from the 60s that might be on those old compilation samplers from Movies, another source are the World beats too.....I got some other Vinyl that I think has a lot of those sounds cauz I am a RZA / 4th disciple fan too.

Y

Young Casius

I think that the sounds that he had back in like 94-98 where hot but his tracks now are pretty much average and thats why you find cats like Ghost, Rae, and Meth going to other producers to get they albums done. Im speaking of RZA. He has lost his touch or something i dont know but his tracks nowadays are very average or below. And i feel like damn what you were doing years ago if you cant keep that heat going for many years to come then your over rated. Producers like Kanye will be around for years to come banging out crazy beats for a long time. Why? Because he is not just confined to one style he's done beats for everybody and ya momma. LOL

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
those guys are going to other producers because they want to go after a different market. i am sure there is some label pressure to get some plaques, and RZA wont give you a club hit. rza woint get you mad radio play in todays marketing climate.

as far as the sounds, if you want sounds that recreate those sounds, get some mellotron string sounds. they arent the same, but harness that same rich texture. you can turn any lush strings into a wu tang type sound by dropping the cutoff a little, using a lo fi effect and upping the high end with an eq... it makes for a fairly dark sound. also, experiment with chords. one thing people miss when trying to capture a paricular sound is the chords.... alot of minors for that dark, melancholy effect.

also, short horn swells and long stabs.... with subtle guitar notes, punchy snares, tamborines and short/simple/brooding basslines.

listen to O.V wright, the Bar Kays, ann peebles. RZA has sampled all three of those and he has raped al greens whole catalog. classical records as well.

oh, and its about time Cappadonna's CLASSIC effort "The Pillage" got some love... "MILK THIS COW!!!!! hold your own, nigga......" and beats like that are simply dope, period.. .they trancend eras. they are simple, and yet timeless. just dope... that album was SOOO underated.

A

ACEBEATZ

Sampling baby

They r all big sampling beat makaz.

Or do your own loops with grimy sounds and pass them trough distortion effect or downsample the quality yourself. A professionnal beat is not necessarily perfectly clean. CREATIVITY FIRST!

luxx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Young Casius said:
I think that the sounds that he had back in like 94-98 where hot but his tracks now are pretty much average and thats why you find cats like Ghost, Rae, and Meth going to other producers to get they albums done. Im speaking of RZA. He has lost his touch or something i dont know but his tracks nowadays are very average or below. And i feel like damn what you were doing years ago if you cant keep that heat going for many years to come then your over rated. Producers like Kanye will be around for years to come banging out crazy beats for a long time. Why? Because he is not just confined to one style he's done beats for everybody and ya momma. LOL

your retarded.

to say kayne is gonna be around for years to come just cause he made beats for alot of people, is stupid. RZA is way more creative than kayne and he still makes hot ish. kayne got a good ear for music hes sampled alot of hot music but rza has made his own style and grimey sound

C

Copenhagen

Regarding samples, also check Syl Johnson.

Regarding RZA, I haven't felt a beat from him in a long time. To be honest, he's even come off as weak to me quite a few times lately. He still makes a banger once in a while, but he ain't the same to me anymore. Sure, I understand that he can't make the same beats again and again, he needs to evolve as well, but I don't think it has been for the better.

Y

Young Casius

Copehagen thats exactly what i was saying. And to the boy luxx Kanye is much more versatile in his production thats why i mentioned that hes made beats for everbody. Wheres RZA only mainly make beats for Wu affiliates or like some karate movies or something. Bottom lines is that nowadays he beats are wack point blank. Like Copehagen said every now and then he makes a banger but hes not consistent at all and to be labeled as a great producer to me you have to be that for a long time. And about his style what are you talking about he used to have a style now his style isnt a style he just fell off period. And thats fact not opinion. Anybody whos not just riding his nuts can see that.

erkl

Funky Walker Dirty Talker
ill o.g.
rza is a god, kanye has just really gotten big in the past bit.. because of jay-z, along with beyonce and that cable tv music .shit. his stuff is pretty generic, samping old soul and speeding it up for alvin chipmunk sounds. (not to say hes not way ahead of me or anything his beats are dope) been there done that, rza has layed out alblums that have been called legends , 36 chambers anyone ? all on a sp-1200..
kanye ? , please..
im too stoned this probably sound heated hah

Y

Young Casius

Yo erkl i was going to leave this thread alone with my last reply but cant help but respond to your comment. First of all RZA a god? Not hardly and as far as comparing their style of sampling like i said before Kanye is way more versatile and can go from producing acts such Janet Jackson, Alicia Keys, Etc. on down to the gritty sounds that he provided for Hip Hop Kweli, Jay Z, Rocafella, Common, Luda, and alot of other rappers(too many to name) not to mention himself. And as far as their track record i would agree that 36 chambers and the albums they released back then were classics such as The purple tape(Cuban Linx) album. BUT what does that have to do with now? Instead of moving forward and getting better hes fell off. And if you think that the sampling that Kanye does is so easy then obviously you dont hear the quality in the samples he chooses and the way he flips them and they way he drowns them with his perfect drum patterns is soooo sick. Yeah RZA use to be the man but theres a new generation now. Face it. Oh by the way did you hear Kanyes song called "Home"? Stop Playing like Jay Z said Hes a Genius!!!!!

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Hey Imma have to answer up.......RZA whaz doing all of sped up samplin while Kanye was watchin Cosby Kid.....I get sick of the comparisons.....I mean Kanye is ok...but he had to be introduced to sampling I believe.....you gotta remember....Wu Tang was all of the hip hop era livn, real hip hop battling, the crowded clubs and lots of knowledge, hott shidd b4 cats like you and me can sit at home with fruity loops and say a platinum legend like RZA has fell off or is weak....lemme see ya plaque man.....Kanye is not even on that level man in this life today or in the future.....he's an overrated media phenom...that's all and I gotta add if RZA had all of that sample time at his disposal back then he would have been doing a lot more you have to look at what Kanye works with...also all of the knowledge that those producers from old school have brought to the new school to even know what to do with a hip hop beat.....all the way from some kid that has never seen a real block or maybe even no black people making hip hop beats...and then sitting up and critiquing some of the cornerstones of this shidd like they're one of the legends...

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
the last set of beats i really felt from the rza were the ones on the digital bullet .. he had sum dope ass tracks on bulletproof wallets too... still RZA reamains my all time fav producer ... Kanye is creepin up heavy though ... dude is the truth

Y

Young Casius

bigdmakintrax said:
Hey Imma have to answer up.......RZA whaz doing all of sped up samplin while Kanye was watchin Cosby Kid.....I get sick of the comparisons.....I mean Kanye is ok...but he had to be introduced to sampling I believe.....you gotta remember....Wu Tang was all of the hip hop era livn, real hip hop battling, the crowded clubs and lots of knowledge, hott shidd b4 cats like you and me can sit at home with fruity loops and say a platinum legend like RZA has fell off or is weak....lemme see ya plaque man.....Kanye is not even on that level man in this life today or in the future.....he's an overrated media phenom...that's all and I gotta add if RZA had all of that sample time at his disposal back then he would have been doing a lot more you have to look at what Kanye works with...also all of the knowledge that those producers from old school have brought to the new school to even know what to do with a hip hop beat.....all the way from some kid that has never seen a real block or maybe even no black people making hip hop beats...and then sitting up and critiquing some of the cornerstones of this shidd like they're one of the legends...

Yo Fam i know you aint talking about me when you talk about a kid never seeing a block and all that bullshit. Thats not even the point dog, it would be senseless for me to rundown my block history to you like im some internet thug but trust me block experience is surely not something that i lack. So put a lid on that street talk shit and save it for the next Nigga. Now.....Who gives up f@ck about what he was using back then and now...i dont care what im talking about is finished product. Maybe if you get RZA's cock out ya mouth then you'll notice that Kanye has already surpassed him in the amount of people hes produced for. And i doubt if it will take him even 2 more years before there will be nobody that he hasnt produced for. Like i said RZA's production is limited to Hip Hop first of all and not only limited to Hip Hop but only to Wu Tang affiliates or people who try to sound like them like Gravediggas, 4th disciples, etc. Can you imagine him doing Alicia Keys "You dont know my name" dont think so. How about prdducing for people like D-12 dont think so....you cats is too stuck on that 94-98 shit. Get over it....its 2004 Like i said RZA use to be dumb nice....KEYWORDS "USED TO BE" get over it. Ya'll sound like some old ass Mike Tyson fans still hoping for the title again...never happen get over it

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Whatever man, If i was talking about you I would definitely imply it a lil more direct, Im just saying I hear cats that aint even mastered fruity loops, or even really understand that the music they make has a link to culture and if you ain't really in that culture what is your point.... always the ones that has some fuggin deep analysis about one of the legendary producers...not like they will battle or using the Mike Tyson analogy...just that what RZA did was defining for that era and still finds itself in todays production but why do cats reach back to find someone to compare one of the cats today...there is no comparison...there is no better.....and they really ain't in the same category, the only reason that he's (Kanye) produced for so many is the media hype alone, he's the hot man now...I mean it's like whoever is hot nowadays gets to produce a track for any of the established artists, thats the thing nowadays it didn't used to be that way back in the RZA days...its are you real?...are you hip hop?...or will you do whatever the bill and possibly be labeled a sellout........just like when the Neptunes were really hot, thats the only name people thought of and everyone was running to them with a contract a pen and a big bank account for their production....this didn't really equate to anything about their production being all of that but it was hot enuff to make labels lots of dough very quickly....but I guarantee he did NOT get dibs on the production because of skillz alone.....only because of the the name and media hype about this cat.....so I wouldn't use numbers as a way to somehow say he's more skillful or better than RZA or anything else numbers aren't the right criteria...Kanye is not my top pick right now as far as who I like....and their production....

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
My new favorite quote and relevant when discussing the Wu:

"It's just, the kids these days, they don't check their history. Everybody knows how to read a fucking Billboard chart. " -Method Man

D

drredeye2k4

check the new pretty toney album by ghostface....killin wu tang production is back....fuck neptunes

members online