This forum dead or dying?

• beat this! voting starts in...

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I'd rather join a Discord group and discuss topics, debate and get feedback in real-time via voice. I just don't have the patience but more importantly desire anymore to listen to everyone's beats and post feedback. YouTube and reddit are my go to sources for anything music related so is there even a need to open a topic on another forum for all the "experts" to chime in with the same answers and sometimes incorrect information? Speaking of AI...if you have a specific question just ask ChatGPT and it will provide you with all the details you need related to mixing/mastering. I'm predicting in the future, AI having the ability to interact with your DAW to make mixing decision for you based on your desired outcome (ex. match eq curve of XYZ song. blend my kick and bass samples perfectly so frequencies don't overlap, etc.). It's scary how good AI will be in just a few years and I'm all for it!
The thing is that is also subjective.

Merely matching eq curves etc etc isn't what makes a mix good. There is artistic element to mix. Sometimes it's absolutely fine and in fact more desirable for mix elements to sum together as opposed to trying to carve out space.

So AI can be useful sure. But it still take the right knowledge and experience to get it to do what you need it to do.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
I love AI and use ChatGPT almost daily. I have a premium membership too.

My activity has slowed down on this forum as I've been trying to market my beats on other channels too. I'm joined a variety of Discord servers recently so I've been more active there (because it's all in one via the app/web). If Ill had a Discord, I'd be on there daily when I have it up while working, but I remember @Iron Keys giving be the history of Ill's prior Discord :)

I've also been working on more experimental and alternative hip-hop stuff, and have connected with a few artists on YT, so been spending more time on those channels.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Seriously though, do it if you guys want, why not? Just make it unofficial. I can give you the logo to use.

Make sure there's plenty of uncomfortable sexual references and casual Iranian racism.
Do you have some of the latter we could import too?

Reminds me of this time 2 non-ill members in the illcord were threatening to come here "what do you think Fade will do when he hears of all this sexual talk?"

I said "I think he'll start coming here more" "let's bring him in and find out" or something along those lines :LOL:

Was one of the funniest moments tbh.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Do you have some of the latter we could import too?

Reminds me of this time 2 non-ill members in the illcord were threatening to come here "what do you think Fade will do when he hears of all this sexual talk?"

I said "I think he'll start coming here more" "let's bring him in and find out" or something along those lines :LOL:

Was one of the funniest moments tbh.
LOL. Just let me know. Make sure to keep the cat gif shit out of there. :clown:

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
I love AI and use ChatGPT almost daily. I have a premium membership too.

My activity has slowed down on this forum as I've been trying to market my beats on other channels too. I'm joined a variety of Discord servers recently so I've been more active there (because it's all in one via the app/web). If Ill had a Discord, I'd be on there daily when I have it up while working, but I remember @Iron Keys giving be the history of Ill's prior Discord :)

I've also been working on more experimental and alternative hip-hop stuff, and have connected with a few artists on YT, so been spending more time on those channels.

Aside from the mod telling me not to battle on this forum again, I'm on the same boat. I want to market my own website and push traffic to my social media sites. Discord is amazing and I always find helpful communities to join. Haven't looked for music production specific Discord's but I'm going to be searching for some or might just create one myself. Time is valuable and any platform that doesn't provide that value is just not worth my time anymore. Member counts are great but how many active members are there is the question.

Last edited:

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Production forums and channels are only really worth it for improving your skill.

Otherwise you're targeting the wrong audience.

Be like Pepsi going to a drink forum to sell Pepsi to Coke.
And I'm noticing it's good to try and understand sub-genre biases too as you try to craft your sounds (presuming you want to develop a unique sounds vs. make type beats). This is the place I go to to read/listen to boom bap techniques, I also appreciate how many years of knowledge are on this forum, the articles/learn section help to cut through the YT fluff. And Fade always posts great samples to flip.

I'm part of a synthwave community to read and talk about vintage synths and VSTs, and I'm part of a few other Discord channels where I'm an older guy but I love how crazy creative some of the young folks are and I've found those channels to be a great place to share my experimental stuff.

There is no one size fits all :)

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I'm part of a synthwave community to read and talk about vintage synths and VSTs
In Love Hearts GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

80S Voice GIF

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
presuming you want to develop a unique sounds
I think with this you need to be careful too... I spent years when early on stressing over "having a soung" not realising that your sound will come naturally...

Whether you have inspirations or not, when you deviate from your main inspiration the influence(s) will stay and that's what make your sound.

You will have a sound whether you realise it or not.

members online