Tha Dirty South Snare/Hi-Hat Roll..

B

Burna

Aye,

I've been in FL for years, since FL 1st came out(The orginal Fruity Loops), and I've been trying shit. But can't figure out this fucking drum roll.. i've tried playing them in manually, i've tried the Piano Roll, and even cuttin' up the snares into 16ths.. but no luck..

someone anyone, any suggestions.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Easy way out... take a drum roll sample (big bands and marching band sample)

or... if you want something composed but still with a real feel, you can always use a midi controller/trigger finger/your computer's keyboard and play the roll at a lower BPM. (if you used your computer's keyboard, you'll also have to change the velocity of each hit, so they are not too robotic (it should be 1 hit hard, 1 medium, 1 low, 1 medium, 1 hard...

hard med low med hard med low med hard.... etc...
And you should have something that sounds more like a real drum roll.

The only problem is that, in a real drum roll, each hits dont really sound the same. Each snare sound different, depending on the place where it was hit exactly... and that is harder to do. You would have to use different snare hits from the same snare and go from one sound to the other in order to have something that is close to reality... (a layer could help there)

am I making any sense here?

booya_nang

A breath of fre$h air!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 76
sYgMa said:

or... if you want something composed but still with a real feel, you can always use a midi controller/trigger finger/your computer's keyboard and play the roll at a lower BPM. (if you used your computer's keyboard, you'll also have to change the velocity of each hit, so they are not too robotic (it should be 1 hit hard, 1 medium, 1 low, 1 medium, 1 hard...

The only problem is that, in a real drum roll, each hits dont really sound the same. Each snare sound different, depending on the place where it was hit exactly... and that is harder to do. You would have to use different snare hits from the same snare and go from one sound to the other in order to have something that is close to reality... (a layer could help there)

Good advice homie....another place I can think of is www.warbeats.com theres a video tutorial on how do to drum/snare rolls in fl studio and it breaks it down quite easily..check it out

B

Burna

sYgMa said:

verry much sense, thanks a million to all of you!

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
in correlation to what sigma said, you can take the same snare and put it in multiple channels with slightly different pitches, to give the subtle impression of difference.

I know you can do it in reason with the flam quick easily. and I know you have reason.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
^^^^didn't think of that... good advice... but then the pitch has to be SLIGHTHY different (like, the difference has to be SLIGHTLY perceptible)

and you could also change the enveloppe (like the attack and the decrease) of each, again, slightly

K

KrackaMack

With my drum rolls, I usually have a diff pitch like has been said above, but I also tweak the velocity a little bit to increase as the roll goes on. I usually cut the snares up to half step quantinization and then mess with the pitch and stuff and maybe correlate the hi hats to go with it.

nfx

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
The advice here is on point but if you need a video, check my site I have a vid of how to do snare and hihat rolls in FL Studio

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
sYgMa said:

No true,

You dont have to use a midi controller to get good rolls. I chopp my hats and snares and do crunk rolls in FL6 all day! sometimes you have to set the placement off by a few ticks forward or back to get it on time correctly. add a little swing too, at the top of the sequencer. maybe i'll make a video on how to properly do this without a midi controller

nfx

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I think Sygma's point was to make a roll that sounds more real. This is more effective if you have a real drum kit sound than with a electronic kit, but still a good tip.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
^^^^saved me the energy of explaining myself... I never said you NEED a midi controller to make a drumroll, patna...

members online