Live Drums

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Does anyone hear ever use live drums when they make beats? I was listening to a song by Devin called Briarpatch and I loved the sounds of the kicks and snare, and then when I looked in the cd cover I found out they were played live. That has me wanting to do that shit but honestly my whole set up is amateurish (still just fuckin with FL and CEP, no interfaces or anything). But some day I plan on moving on, and I was just curious if anyone has used live drums.

ill o.g.
I do sometimes. Sometimes ill have my sample/melody/etc all layed out and ill play the drums over the shit. Sometimes i just play my own breaks and sample myself and cut it up. Go to your local studio or ask around, you might know somebody who plays the drums, ask em to play somethin for one of your beats.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I feel you on that, I've been wanting to sample my live drumming for a while now... that would be hype! But I take some samples of live drumming and I chop chop chop so it still sounds live, but not the same...

E

Equality 7-2521

im recording a drummer next thursday at school. hopefully a contact i can stay in touch with to hook up for some beat action.

real drums sound dope though, hence the reason i got Fxpansion BFD. great drum sounds.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Equality 7-2521 said:
im recording a drummer next thursday at school.

Do you intend to
a) use his playing as a simple sample or
b) will you give him a beat with no drums so he can ad lib to it, or
c) will you ask him to do a drumline you chose but that you want to sound live?

E

Equality 7-2521

i have played the hook of the song on a mbira. im gonna give him this (looped) and just let him do his thing. then, if i feel neccessary, i will chop it up a little (not too much cos i dont want to loose the stereo image) and rearange bars and what not.

members online