illmuzik - *Piano lessons* - week 6 (10-mar-07 to 17-mar-07)

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
--------------------------------------
WEEK 5 - Chord Progressions

Tasks

Read the reference material

This is a pretty important lesson for those that like to compose, or when you sample and want to play ontop of the sample and so forth.

1. Practice the I-IV-V chord progression in every major key. You can use this chart but its better if you work out these chords yourself. In C for example the chords are C-F-G, in the key of G it would be G-C-D

2. Practice the ii-V-I chord progression in every major key. You can use this chart for help

3. Practice the iii-vi-ii-V-I chord progression in every major key. You can use this chart for help
-----------------

Below are the most basic audio examples of the above progressions, ofcourse you can jazz them up (try using 7ths, minor11s, 13ths and so forth) but for illustration purposes i will keep it to a minimum so you can recognize the basic sound.

Audio Examples

1-4-5 : http://www.mediafire.com/?8q4z1nj1mzq

2-5-1 : http://www.mediafire.com/?fqxmtqywjym

3-6-2-5-1 : http://www.mediafire.com/?emy2yz4iymi

And here is a cheesy ass beat i put together real quick to show these chords in context:

Beat example :http://www.mediafire.com/?4mjytzgz4my

END

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Hey i think this is very nice of you to do, going out of your way to teach the weak.. hehe. anyways if i was at home i would use this lesson but im at work with no keyboard :( oh well but hey your an asset to illmuzik and you have my respect for doing this.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
lol where is everyody at????.
... see what i mean man afrique... cats talk a good game talkin bout they wanna learn how to play the keys but very few cats actually have the talent and patients to put the *work* in...

lol well it got kinda quiet after about week 3, but I'll keep posting till the 9 weeks are over. I learn something new everytime i get on it.

Hey i think this is very nice of you to do, going out of your way to teach the weak.. hehe. anyways if i was at home i would use this lesson but im at work with no keyboard :( oh well but hey your an asset to illmuzik and you have my respect for doing this.

thanks. Its not so much teaching, just going through the material with the rest of ill, as i said, i learn new shit every week. You dont need a keyboard to get started, would be good if you skim read through the content and when you get home you can work out the chords on the keys.

KelzCorleone

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Im still here, still in training, um this is the chapter i wanted to do, the mario-18 track is a good song to play, to practice major chords. It has a great rhythmic progression. But anyway thanx for keepin the lesson up. Ill be here till the end.

samuelock

I want Funnel Cake.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
1. Pratice the I-IV-V chord progression in every major key. You can use this chart but its better if you work out these chords yourself. In C for example the chords are C-F-G, in the key of G it would be G-C-D

2. Pratice the ii-V-I chord progression in every major key. You can use this chart for help

3. Pratice the iii-vi-ii-V-I chord progression in every major key. You can use this chart for help

*Practice. Sorry, I just needed to point it out!

:)

Hita_K

Dilltastic
ill o.g.
lol where is everyody at????.
... see what i mean man afrique... cats talk a good game talkin bout they wanna learn how to play the keys but very few cats actually have the talent and patients to put the *work* in...

True...... I'm one of those cats I don't have the discipline sometimes. I'm tryna catch up but not every week. I'm tryna learn at my own pace.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
lol id forgotten you were posting these up every week ive actually printed all the the lessons of that site and ive been going thru them they have definately helped a lot, im guna start doing sum grades on the piano to build up my knowledge as well but this has helped a lot !

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
lol id forgotten you were posting these up every week ive actually printed all the the lessons of that site and ive been going thru them they have definately helped a lot, im guna start doing sum grades on the piano to build up my knowledge as well but this has helped a lot !

yeah ill post the next one tonight after am back from school. If you are doing grades you will need a teacher though as that needs to be a little more official. What grade you going for first time around, i was thinking of doing grade 3 right off the bat, but am still thinking whether i really need them or not. Theyre a great way of measuring progress and also having something to work towards, but other than that arent really important. I hear if you make grade 8 you can be officially a piano teacher, make some easy money.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
yeah ill post the next one tonight after am back from school. If you are doing grades you will need a teacher though as that needs to be a little more official. What grade you going for first time around, i was thinking of doing grade 3 right off the bat, but am still thinking whether i really need them or not. Theyre a great way of measuring progress and also having something to work towards, but other than that arent really important. I hear if you make grade 8 you can be officially a piano teacher, make some easy money.

duno really im not sure where i am on grade level i woz guna start at 1 obviously but if i find that its too easy i mite start a little higher ! yea its not that i need them but like you said its a good thing to work towards and i tend to work better if im working towards something !

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
yeah thanks a lot for all the piano lessons afrique my man, i got so many sheets of paper stuck around my producing area now (i don't like to say studio because its just a desk with some speakers a laptop and a midi keyboard!) i been away from illmuzik for a while really tryna learn to play and stuff... i wouldn't say i can play the piano as such but it really aids me with my producing and i've been able to add some dope shit to my beats and get some nice basslines going... so yeah good looking out, with your help and various other shit online (mainly illmuzik) i'd say i've really stepped my game up!

peace

b

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
ooo this table is really well done. I recommend anyone learning to cop it and print it out! very useful reminder.

Come back master...lmao... I need u...you're students need u.

I'M JUST GETTING TURN ON TO YOUR TEACHINGS!