How many hardcore Ableton users?

DrOscillator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hell yeah! I just noticed they created this section, I've been a hardcore Live fan for about 3 years now, after moving on from Reason (I still use it to rewire). There is just so much crazy stuff you can do with it, it blows my mind... I use it to make mashups, DJing, and of course as my main beat-making / recording / mixing tool. Its great cause its way simpler than Cubase or Sonar (IMHO) and I never got a chance to check out Logic b/c I don't have a Mac. Anyway- highly recomended for making crazy beats, especially sample based, its mad easy to assign any sample to any midi key for some uber MPC-type action. I can't wait for the automatic beat slicing feature in Live 7.

At first I thought the Impulse drum machine was weak, but then I found this instrument rack called drumstack which gives you waaaay more flexibility in layering and processing the individual hits, its a must have: http://sonictransfer.com/sonictransfer-drumstack-download.shtml

Chisel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I know I'm resurrecting a two year old thread, but I had to respond. Ableton Live is the heart of my studio. I use it with all my external gear to compose everything from Hip Hop to Trance. The workflow I have in Live is amazing. I use it with my Creamware Pulsar II in XTC mode. It's a fantastic piece of software that keeps getting better with each release.

Peace \/
chisel316

www.soundclick.com/chisel316
www.youtube.com/chisel316

misch

ill o.g.
big fan of live, recently switched over, completed my latest project with it. paired it up with a korg padkontrol with native kontrol software and the workflow is super fast and easy. i can assign the pads and knobs to whatever parameters i want in live, or switch over to drum racks mode for banging out beats or controlling the clip grid. it really sped up how fast i can work and lay stuff down, drum racks are ridiculous and simplers/samplers are so dope for working with samples. i need to try 8 out still, but yeah i really like live.

Olio Cad

ill o.g.
shit yea. i got, and swear by live 8. its an incredibly intuitive program. i begun to add video for my live show, and ableton makes this easy. i really have nothing but good things to say.

if you think live doesn't do something, chances are it does and you just haven't found out how to do it yet. and im certainly willing to help anyone with questions on the program.

misch

ill o.g.
how's the stability of 8 for you? i've heard mixed opinions still haven't jumped from 7.4 or whatever yet.

Olio Cad

ill o.g.
i've actually had no trouble with its stability, but i've heard it can cause problems. im not surprised really, there are quite a few things going on that clog up the system. the new warping engine is pretty complex, and live has never really had a flawless stability record.

i guess saying i have nothing bad to say about it is a lie, there are issues i have with it:

-the equalizers kinda blow, im not a fan of the eq 3 or eq 8. the nodes do weird things to the curves on it, i have trouble getting it to the point i want.

-the warping system is pretty tight, but live seems to add way too many transient markers then is actually needed.

-the midi step sequencer stuff is not so hot. could be made easier to use.

-is it just me, or does everything sound a little weaker when mixed in live? i dont know.

otherwise live 8 is a pretty vast improvement to 7. the groove engine is finally a good groove engine. reason, cubase, and logic always seemed to excel in that aspect in the past. the warping sounds really nice, and the midi step input sequencing mode is a lot of fun. all in all, i'd say a worth it purchase. especially if your a fan of previous versions, and looking to upgrade.

misch

ill o.g.
thanks for the mini review! sounds pretty good, i've heard that before about the eq's, guess i wasn't too hot on 7's eqs but there's plenty out there to choose from. i'm definitely going to take the plunge, just a matter of funds!

OffSet

HIpHOP
ill o.g.
Well i might be a little late on this But Yes i can say THAT i am a True die hard User of ableton since 4 til now with 8. It has change my whole style and reasoning in my music! Never looking back at all the other DAW! But i am also a rewired user to reason and sonar. Try it and you will see!

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
i use live 7 to play live with, so pretty hardcore on it...i wouldnt use it for production tho, not as a sequencer, it is good as a beat box IMO, that is its best use in the studio...but for live shows, it is the shit, the absolute shit!

L'Architect

ill o.g.
i use live 7 to play live with, so pretty hardcore on it...i wouldnt use it for production tho, not as a sequencer, it is good as a beat box IMO, that is its best use in the studio...but for live shows, it is the shit, the absolute shit!

Ive got Live 8 suite, and its really powerful as a sequencer. Session mode is the most intuitive, fast way to get ideas down quickly, and with Sampler, and Drum Racks, it has a lot of power under the hood.

Explore it a little more, and you'll find its the most flexible, enjoyable DAW out there.

ill o.g.
Sometimes I use Reason in Rewire slave mode with Ableton as my main sequencer, and it's a powerful configuration. Utilizing Reason's sounds with Ableton's ease of sequencing makes for an enjoyable session in the studio.

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sound Quality wise, it beats FL out of the box. I use my own samples and instruments, so the sequencer is good. I did alot of recording last year in live. But i havent be able to out match myself doing drums in Live as compared to doing drums in LF.

The new groove templates are cool. and i like how fast it lets you make your own. The Warp markers are Class A..i wish FL had em..lol

IF they implemented a Vari Audio like Cubase...i wouldnt use any other program TBH but life.

FL is still my main goto for beat making until i get more comfortable