GOD 101: Getting Signed to a Major Label

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Dear All:

A previous post regarding Goldy_C, and some free time have prompted me to post another informative message regarding the variables regarded in signing a new artist, and the massive thought and logic industry individuals invest in getting the most for their money when they sign a new act.

If you are an artist, you have to consider your marketability, which I will delineate below, as well as providing some links that fall exactly in line with what I am saying. There are trends to what acts tend to get signed, and what just doesn't fit in today's synergistic world of media.

I also want it to be clear that I am discussing strictly major labels and mainstream acts that normally populate the likes of MTV.

THE NEW ERA OF MARKETING
Before, it didn't really matter unless you had a good song to sell. How times have changed! In the mid-nineties, media companies, along with MTV (as well as several colluded mega-majors like Universal, and Time Warner) made qualitative analyses of the lives of youths usually between the ages of 12-17, or the "teen" generation if you will. They went into kid's houses, asked kids about what they liked, didn't like, trends in clothing and consumption of goods, and came back to the table with two distinct psychological profiles of female and male teens that would be a cookie cutter methodology to which female and male teens could be marketed to by record companies in collusion with major brand giants like Procter and Gamble, shoe companies, etc.

What came out of the research was a change in MTV as well as the signing of acts by record companies. Record companies and MTV sought talent that appealed to either one of the following:

1. A disassociated, angry teen male. (known as a "MOOK")
2. A hypersexualised, pierced, "belly showing," sophisticated, teen female. (known as a "MIDRIFF.")

Know, the recalculation of programming at MTV was changed to fit such predicates, as well as programming for a more brand friendly a promotional program approach. That's why they don't just "show music videos" on MTV. They have 1/2 hr. to 1 hr "shows" that are meant to appeal to either the MOOK or the MIDRIFF. "Jackass" was meant for teh MOOK, and the MIDRIFF had other shows as well. Furthermore, advertisers could do pertinent brand placement and MTV which would make MTV have higher advertising rates than before, because they are appealing to the consumption habits that teens make during their "brand formation" years. That's basically where teens get brand identification that they will hold on to later in life, like using Guess? jeans, Ralph Lauren or even Phat Farm, and having an affinity for it.

How does this all fit in to getting signed?

MARKETING AND GETTING SIGNED TO A MAJOR

Korn, Staind, Eminem, Metallica, 50 Cent, most gangsta rap, Linkin Park, appeal to the MOOK. Most acts signed have to fit into this generic category that promotes anger, depression and violence, because that is what the MOOK has been psychologically profiled as by researchers.

Haven't you ever accused a band or act for getting "soft" if he/they come out with a "love song?" Why would Ja Rule switch from his harder image on Venni Vetti Vinci to the "Thug Love" he croons now?

The midriff!

Female teens are the largest consumers of music in Western Europe, the United States and Australia. That's why N'Sync was so successful. So is Britney Spears and Hillary Duff. That's why Fabolous raps love songs, B2K sings, or Ja Rule sells 6 million love raps, and you hate him, but your girlfriend loves him. They are all appealing to the midriff demographic, and love songs about relationships, etc., are all appealing to the female teen demographic, and if they like the image of the artist, then you're even a bigger star.

An group I think treads finely between the MOOK and MIDRIFF is Nickelback, who tended to make sappier love songs, and now is trying to get "harder" a little bit with their last single. ("I Know Who You Are")

SO GOD, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR ME?

This means that YOU as an artist, if you want a higher probability of getting signed, and I mean this... have to throw away your "artistic" idealism and indeed think if you want to "sell out" and actually make some money by formatting your music to sell to a MOOK or to the MIDRIFF

Usually an exec won't let you do both, it's increasing the probability of failure if they try to market you to both, plus it's cheaper to promote you in one way than both. Remember, you're selling your image, and that image has to be consistent. Either your appealing to angry kids who can identify you, or to females that identify with your love lyrics.

Rarely is there middle ground.

You have signing potential if you appeal to one and only one of these demographics. Also, it gives you the ability to cross-promote, like signing with a clothing company for men, if you're a MOOK artist, or sell make-up, like Mandy Moore. Also, your image can make you able to be a movie action star (something 50 Cent should do, and DMX tried).

The thing is that if you cater to a MOOK or the MIDRIFF, you more options to make money for your record company, management, agents, and self.

GOD WHY SHOULD I CARE ABOUT THIS? I'M MY OWN ARTIST F*** EVERYBODY

Hmm, is that what you really want to do? If I want to sign you, and you're a hardcore rapper appealing to the MOOK, I can immediately put you on tour with other harder rappers like 50 Cent/Jay-Z/Xzibit, or if you're a band, I can get you on that Korn/Limp Bizkit tour, which gives you instant exposure for your band, which equates to more money and more sales.

It's about making music that SPECIFICALLY IDENTIFIES with a target audience, like angry 12-17 yr. old males.

If I represent you, and you appeal to the midriff, I'd have you doing all the cheesy photo shoots, Tiger Beat, your face would be on make-up, backpacks, all the things you hate about "selling out" and going "soft." But guess what, YOU WOULD BE PAID MASSIVELY.

If you do your own thing... great, just don't come looking for a massive deal unless you are so different that it's worth to sign you. That doesn't happen often. That's saying a lot considering most people that do get signed beat dramatic odds over other people.

CONCLUSION

What you should get out of this is that MTV won't play unless your image appeals to the MOOK or MIDRIFF demographic. Your video has to have a certain format, and record companies know that their artists should appeal to such standards because they have a better chance at being promoted and paid by advertisers, etc.

It is the whole "sell out dilemma." But think about it. You're not just an artist, you're an image, you're somebody that a kid should look up to. You're not really yourself, you're somebody else pretending to appeal to a demographic. Dre knows this, look at his artists, they all pretty much cater to the MOOK. Boy bands were great money makers appealing to the MIDRIFFS.

A lot of successful "industry" people know this, in radio, television, and music. THAT'S PREDOMINANTLY HOW MAJORS SIGN THEIR ACTS. Or at least, good A&R.

Here are some links I've given before, but maybe more people will read them:

Read the synopsis on how the system works first:

Synopsis
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/etc/synopsis.html

Then read MTV's Todd Cunningham's interview on research and analysis and artist targeting:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/interviews/cunningham.html

Hope this enlightens you somewhat. Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Sincerely,
God

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
Thanks again god i been thinkin about thtis alot lately and can see where it works with the acts out today. The only thing that confuses me is like 50 cent is supposed to be appealing to the angry teenage males with songs like Many Men right? But he makes songs like 21 Questions which would be for females so does that mean that hes doin both or is he just straying away a little bit from what he's being paid to do? Or somebody like Chingy......what is he?

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Dear All:

Since rappers usually can't make the beats, you have to make the angst or love beats they'll put their angry or love lyrics on it... so yeah, you have to conform too. The artist is dependant on you.

As for 50 Cent. He's mostly a hardcore rapper with one or two ballads that don't really affect his image. Remember about the fact that it's the image that is most important, and he came out looking tough and backing it up. One or two love songs won't hurt him when he has 14 saying how much he wants to kill or do something to Ja Rule.

As for Chingy, you bring him up, and I'd have to listen to the rest of his album to get a feel for what he's appealing to. I don't know too much about him. I can get back to you on that.

But don't you see that a predominant number of artists fit into these two neatly defined categories now?

Go make your money!

Sincerely,
God

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I don't think producers/beatcreators have to worry about this, eventualy I think the producer is better off in such a situation or in his role within the industry. I also think that the duration of a good producer oppossed to a good mc, has more value since it is not a fashionable item itself ( you don't have to be, but for like of timberland, neptunes, well you know the deal ) and above all he doesnt carry a permanent brandmark above his head. Being typical, acclaimed for, doesn't mean you last long. Lasting longer is what I call a commercial succes, not the money in the first 3 years. So, as a commercialy biased producer you must consider yourself capable of producing commerial music, meaning not just hiphop or rnb, in fact not even urban related material.

I also wanna second god's intro by another factor which is overlooked at, the fact that some artist come out with certain " innovation ", the new " sound of now " always kicks in sometime leaving the rest in the scene of yesterday. Some are pushed through by their companies as a project and some artist just get picked up because they are simply hype, progressive.

In my most humble opinion, I can suggest that you engage in this industry at the point that you know what they are looking for @ and play into that, or be progressive, it's either one of the two ( I'd go progressive ). But you have to be really sure that what you are doing is hype and be objective about what you achieve.

You can be a dealer or you can sell your soul.

Personaly, Im no logo.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
i USUALLY AGREE WiTH THE THiNGS SAiD BY GoD, AND ALTHoUGH i Do UNDERSTAND THE LoGiC AND RESPECT THE OPiNioN, i STRoNGLY DiSAGREE WiTH THE EMPHASiS THAT THiS iS SoMETHinG AN ARTiST MUST Do, YES iT iS A SAD TiME AND iMAGE iS THE MoST iMPoRTANT THiNG FoR AN ARTiST i DoNT FEEL LiKE ARTiST MUST CoNFoRM To THE iDEAoLoGiES oF THE iNDUSTRY.THERE ARE oNLY A FEW WHo CAN GET AWAY WiTH BEiNG THEMSELVES (NAS, PAC, JAY-Z) AND THERE MiGHT BE AN ARGUMENT FR THE "THUG LiFE" CAMPAiGN, THiS iS SomETHiNG THAT WAS DEFiNiTELY DoNE BY PAC HiMSELF AND FELT STRoNGLY ABoUT. AND i AM NoT A JAY-Z FAN BUT i CAN RESPECT HiM AS AN ARTiST FoR HiS HoNESTY BUT i ALSo BLAME Him FoR SETTiNG THE TRENDS THAT THESE BUBBLEGUM RAPPERS ARE FoLLoWiNG ToDAY.
BUT BACK To THE THREAD, THiS iSNT REALLY ANYTHiNG NEW THE DETAiLS WERE iNFoRMATiVE AND LiKE i SAiD iTS SAD THAT THiNGS ARE THiS WAY..............BUT THEY DoNT HAVE To BE.CiTY

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
word, real skills know better, they're just not supporting it up to a credible level, cuz most peeps are way to wack compared to " underground " however you like to define underground. We know all that already, but there obviously some people deciding that it's not gonna sell but really who are they to tell.

highlite80

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i gotta go with god on this one,i think jay-z said something on his album like "i''d still be rappin like common sense/but i aint been rappin like common since/i been makin them dollars,does that make sense"or something like that,gods right if you want to make serious dough,marketability,after everything is said and done an artist probably wont even make a million on record sales,you make money on the road,selling out venues filled with all those people god talked about,thats the difference between talib kwali doing a concert and ludacris doing one,talib would fill a club,ludacris would fill a stadium,not saying hes a better artist,but he's more marketable

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Imma tell ya'll like this.........I don't argue with GOD....but the bottom line is the odds are stacked against you getting signed to a Major label.....there SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many producers....SOOOOOOOOOOOO many artists the competition pool has never been like this ever.......indie labels are a dime a dozen so are hot beats......do you know what this means? the Labels can be very picky....you have to do something to set yourself apart......again just because you have hot beats does no equate to a record deal........execs and A&R's have storage rooms full of spindles of hot beats....the studios they own have dats full of hot beats.....so what does this tell you ....... my advice is to get the ideas of dollars signs and being the next Swiss beats or Alchemist out of your head......for the most part (not always) these cats paid lots of dues producing in the underground locally..........
the formula is to work with artists, network with other producers in your locality......visit other labels, exchange ideas, push units....these are the pathways to success and getting some money in your pocket to support the expensive habit of production...........you have to work with other people outside of the internet and learn more about the craft from cats that have been in the game.......if you live somewhere in the middle of bumfugg....then you gotta get out of your crib and go find an artist in the next town or whereever.........become a DJ and throw parties, play your stuff.....REPP yourself......marketing locally will help you establish a name......drown out any competition with mixtapes and new artists......fugg the Major labels they will only dissapoint you and waste enormous amounts of time...........do your homework first then you stand a greater chance of them taking notice and maybe you can get a deal if you sell records at street level.......

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Dear All:

I understand the problems that some of you have with this situation, as bigdmakintrax stated (as did I) it is hard enough to get a major label deal for a new artist, and it is even harder to get one on your own terms doing the independent production in which you believe, yet is not fully recognised by a public yet.

What I am trying to convey is that there is a demand for mook and midriff music, and it is very large. Catering to it helps your odds somewhat in a game where the odds are greatly stacked against you (regarding major label signings.) A lot of people make a great living catering to the demand of "what's in" at the time. Those individuals also change production tactics when a "new trend" comes in.

Speaking of new trends, I think I will put forth an article on how smart AR individuals can locate new trends ahead of the general public and thereby capitalise on an investment in a new form of music that is slowly becoming popular.

What I am showing to you is the reality of the situation, and the extensive gravity upon which major decisions, like giving someone a record deal, are weighed. Decisions are rationally based, with fiduciary predicaments at the heart of the deal. It is about money, and not just about the music (regarding major labels.)

Independents and niche markets are another idea. And guess what... regarding the "underground," there is usually major label investment put forth to back up major underground labels. A half a million dollar investment in a punk label could turn out to be gargantuan for a major (if I was executing the deal) in the early nineties. Now with underground rap, there will be the same thing. I guarantee it.

If some of you don't realise this now, you eventually will as you mature and become more intwined in the entertainment industry.

Good luck to you all! Don't hesitate to ask questions, that's the only way people learn! :)

Sincerely,
God

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
One thing you can be certain about in this industry and thats history repeating itself. The charts always go back into era's, reviving a past situation, a hype, that fueled industry 's management to push through a music genre that deliveres most exploitation at that time, nothing innovative or progressive about it.

Speaking of new trends, I think I will put forth an article on how smart AR individuals can locate new trends ahead of the general public and thereby capitalise on an investment in a new form of music that is slowly becoming popular.

Interresting indeed!

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Exactly, I think I talked about this last year or some time anyhow, A&R's always tell you we are looking for the sound of tomorrow....LOL....or they need a new sound for one of their up and coming Artists......back awhile ago I did some Toni Braxton submissions to get on her project....now see the thing about it her last album didn't do that great but if you judged her past work and thought to submit tracks based on her RnB style...you missed it because she had mostly open hip hop style beats with not a lot of instrumentation.....so you have to have a heads up on what image or theme the artist projects on their newest album.....but GOD you are a wealth of knowledge are you sure you aren't an A&R or some industry type ? you put out knowledge I had to find out for myself or attend lots of industry sponsored workshops.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
Originally posted by bigdmakintrax
Exactly, I think I talked about this last year or some time anyhow, A&R's always tell you we are looking for the sound of tomorrow....LOL....or they need a new sound for one of their up and coming Artists......back awhile ago I did some Toni Braxton submissions to get on her project....now see the thing about it her last album didn't do that great but if you judged her past work and thought to submit tracks based on her RnB style...you missed it because she had mostly open hip hop style beats with not a lot of instrumentation.....so you have to have a heads up on what image or theme the artist projects on their newest album

bigd how u get all these link ups like submittin trcks

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
uppin' this