can classic albums still be made....

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
:confused: the lasttime i felt i heard a classic album was kwali's reflection eternal.
since then it's been a minute in my view.. it's all formula now.. mnm 2nd was close. Nas Godson to. but evrything else I here theres always 1 to 3 song...
that you know they had so radio or fill track... but i remember when albums made radio come to them....( wu tangs 36 chambers and BIG's Ready 2 Die)

like i said it's been a minute.. or two...
LET ME KNOW If yall disagree!

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
ummmmm i personally dont think that reflection was a classic....but if you take out a few tracks it is. the same with God's son.... there arent any true classics anymore, in my opinion, but you may want to check out rjd2's dead ringer. thats nice, but its mostly instrumental. ........?????/ nope. cant think of one. except all of Canibus's albums FAIL classicaly, thats all i can think of!!1

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
The last that I heard was Jay-Z's Blueprint 1 and I'm only saying that because it's really hard to make a CD that pleases everyone. I think that Blueprint 1 had a little something for everyone from "street rap" to "somewhat hardcore" to "kiddie rap" to "hip-hop heads rap"....LOL

--dac

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
yeah, a true classic will trancsend genres and people groups, as well as has a significant impact on the landscape of hip hop.
so that kind of excludes el-p, except for the fact that he is a rare underground entrepenour who is actually succesful....

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
I thought Jay-z's blueprint 1 was his worst album. I didn't care for it because of the production. I'm from the west coast and I really aint feelin' those sample speed up type beats. Theres only a few that can sample real good in my eyes and the people he had producing on there are at the bottom of the barrel. But Jay-Z has so much street cred. its like he can say corny things and people still think he's dope. He is, dont get me wrong but sometimes he doesn't bring it like he used to.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
whoa..... i wouldnt exaclty call blaze and west bottom of the barrel. they certainly havent been the most creative, but their sound is a beautiful one. im from California myself. i cant stand "West Coast" beats.

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
are you talkin about bay area beats or west coast beats? because there is a difference! Bay Area beats SUCK!!!!!!! thats not west coast in my book. Just about everything you hear now is west coast influenced. When I think back to BIG's first album he had alot of east coast beats on there (gritty, grimey, dirty sounding drums) The west put those nice clean crisp drums on the map. Now Just about every producer no matter if there from east, west, or south uses them. That Just Blaze and Kanye West sound just dont do it for me. Blaze is better out of the 2 because the stuff he did with eric sermon and Keith murray "Yeah yeah you know it" etc that right there is hot and that sound that he has is cool but that sample shit is garbage.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
nah... that west coast, southern california sound is garbage. i'm from southern california. i hate it, musically. some of the underground stuff is ok at best, and the mainstream rap- mac ten, ice cube's newer albums, snoop, etc..... horrible, just horrible. "poppinj our collars, gettin them dollars.." yeah, ok. there is rarely any musical sense to a lot of it (save for dj quick, but he bores and annoys me.) its all weak... when was the last truly classic westcoast beat? like, 94? and who made it? in all likelyhood it was dre... and then we have these sorry essay rappers... there is nothing worse than these mexican gangsta rappers out here, especially san diego. get down with the wackness!!1

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
What you fail to realize is that Rick Rock sound is west coast. you mean to tell me he hasn't made a dope beat? yeah right! He's had alot of hits recently. Busta rhymes, Fab, Angie martinez, etc. theres alot to name I think your just jockin' the east coast my friend. Its cool , thats your opinion I respect that. just respect mine. I could really dig and get some info for you but right now I got bigger and better things to worry about than you and your opinions. oh yeah what does poppin our collars have to do with west coast beats? I never said anything about west coast lyrics next time read a little closer

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
for the last time- hits do not = good. hot does not = good. i dont sit here and jock the east coast. im not on these cats nuts at all i'm just showing you what.............you know what? this is off topic. im not even going to finish this sentence. sorry Fade.

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Classic albums wont be made because there are artist like lil' jon and bone crusher and nelly. untill they get rid of them, hip hop can never have another classic album. reason is that they change the rap game up too much. and as long as a artist has 6-7 figures pushin his music he's bound to go platinum or gold. which allows the radio to force feed garbage rap to young kids and there the ones that buy that crap. which ends up makin it hard for real artist with real talent to make it.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
um....well................. yep. just like we al had to sit there and endure camron's "hey ma" last summer. it is actually not the artist that is at fault there, its the fan's themselves, because the masses repeatedly reject anything outside of their narrow little boxes they call a mind....... anything that enforces an actual thought process is denied!!!!! there will be no sense in the music industry!!!! there will be no substance!!! there will be no music!!! thus sayith the almighty 17 year old subrban white male and 14 year old girls everywhere. LLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIINNNGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS>>>>>>>>>..................................................all of them.

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Truth Told
yeah, a true classic will trancsend genres and people groups, as well as has a significant impact on the landscape of hip hop.
so that kind of excludes el-p, except for the fact that he is a rare underground entrepenour who is actually succesful....

ok, but then it exclude alot of things... even mainstream hip hop. Who deceide where the line should be laid? As far as impact goes I'm shure that ten year from now, people will still remember el-p. I'm not shure about alot of other current hiphop producer tho.

I'm sorry to be an ass about this. The term "classic album" as none definitive definition. It's just a mather of taste really.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
not so... a classic to you and me is one thing, but to have one that is universally recognized as one? of course that excludes pretty much everything on the market. thats why a classic is a classic. it stands above the rest.

highlite80

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i know alot of people will disagree but i personally think pharoh monch's internal affairs was the last classic album TO ME i can listen to the whole thing without skipping anything this is only my opinion though

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
that was the same thing as kweli's, you take away like four tracks AND THEN you have a classic..... songs like "The A$$" and that track with Busta Rhymes dont really cut it....

members online